TBH BLOOD DOG TRACKING, TRAINING, & RECOVERY Thread

Originally posted by Hoggerjls View Post
    I'm looking for either a started or finished tracker. PM me 832-274-5322

Text sent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

T

Comment

Anybody in the Bastrop area, good friend of mine stuck a good one this morning and hasn't been able to locate. Call my cell Denton 512-954-5299, I'm on the road and cant check post regular, thanks in advance!

Comment

I have a few newbie questions I'm hoping some of the tenured trackers can answer

- When a "liver drag" is mentioned, is that simply a liver from a deer that is cut out and frozen and then thawed out prior to doing mock drag trails?

- If I'm getting blood to save for mocks what's the best way to get it from a freshly killed deer? My common sense would say hang it up and cut the neck and funnel the blood into a water bottle or large jug. Can you also scoop out all the blood in the body cavity too? Should I save any gut matter? Any other recommendations?

- If I decide to let my pup track off lead later on, what is a good entry-level GPS collar to keep up with him?

Thanks for help!

Comment

Originally posted by mdnabors View Post
            I have a few newbie questions I'm hoping some of the tenured trackers can answer

- When a "liver drag" is mentioned, is that simply a liver from a deer that is cut out and frozen and then thawed out prior to doing mock drag trails?

- If I'm getting blood to save for mocks what's the best way to get it from a freshly killed deer? My common sense would say hang it up and cut the neck and funnel the blood into a water bottle or large jug. Can you also scoop out all the blood in the body cavity too? Should I save any gut matter? Any other recommendations?

- If I decide to let my pup track off lead later on, what is a good entry-level GPS collar to keep up with him?

Thanks for help!
            Yes sir a liver drag is just that and a great way to start a pup off. Start off short and easy with a reward at the end.

I usually put a 5 gallon bucket under the deer im cleaning and then do the scoop method.

Im not sure about entry level collars but i run an alpha and love it. Gives me peace of mind knowing where my dog is at all times. Astro is another good one

Comment

Thanks for help!
              You also need to save some hide from your deer. Save the backskin, legs, etc. Save parts too. In my experience you can use anything that smells like a deer to train them. A lot of times with my dog I would take large quantities of blood and separate it into small 3 or 4 oz squeeze bottles. Then i might run blood trail only, or I might squeeze some blood on a piece of hide and use that to run the trail, dipping it on the ground every few feet.

Comment

Anyone around the Palestine area? I stuck a buck this am...been raining..but from what i’ve heard that doesn’t make a difference to the dogs. I’ve already talked to a number of guys that were referred...but for one reason or another, they aren’t able to make it out. I have a thread in the campfire called “Buck hit...can’t find him, ug” with more info...

Thanks for your help!! Chris

Comment

Thanks for info guys.

Good luck on finding your buck Chris

Comment

Thanks for help!
                    I find it best to lay the deer on his back and open him up, scoop the blood out. You'd be surprised how little you get. Also, after scooping out what you can, cut his heart and liver out. Save those and scoop more blood out. I carry small bottles with me that helps.

Comment

Newt got his first Live track today. He was a little surprised when she first jumped but instinct kicked in real quick. He bayed her up and this young lady got her first kill ever. No blood at all for the first 200 yards and only a few drops after that but he worked it out really quick. This young lady was happy to get her first deer.

Comment

Congratz to the little lady and pup!

Comment

Rufus boy earning his keep! 40 yards no visible blood!!
                          First deer ever ... my man!!

Comment

Any of you guys or gals want a better way to carry your GPS, my nephew’s wife made this one for me...

Shoot me a PM If you want her contact info..

Comment

Thats pretty cool

Comment

Pretty slick. Thats one thing im constantly trying to keep up with!

Comment

Working...
                                X