Elk Public Land OTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elk Public Land OTC

What states and what units can I purchase an OTC elk tag (bull or cow) as a nonresident to hunt? Thanks.

I'm kinda curious too, really would like to get a change of pace from deer hunting tx public land.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

GoHunt.com is going to be your best resource for learning about this topic. You can type in 'Application Strategy XYZ State GoHunt.com' and read some free articles, or you can sign up to become a member and see tons of resourceful info about where you can hunt, what you can hunt, what weapon/season, etc. For instance, are you talking Archery, muzzleloader, a rifle season?

Comment

Montana Colorado Idaho I believe .

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
          Montana Colorado Idaho I believe .
          Do you know if there is greater availability based on means an methods? I usually bowhunt didn't know if that would open up the odds any. I'm looking to try my luck in Montana next year.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post
            Do you know if there is greater availability based on means an methods? I usually bowhunt didn't know if that would open up the odds any. I'm looking to try my luck in Montana next year.

There are tons of Colorado OTC options for Archery, 2nd Rifle, and 3rd rifle. Montana has OTC options for Late Archery, Late Muzzleloader, Early and Late Rifle. There are also draw unit with very high odds of drawing (sometimes as high as 100%) that could be considered. Some units have very little public land, or only hold elk in late winter etc. so you have to be particular when selecting a unit. This is where GoHunt can come into play though for filtering units with X% public land, bull:cow ratio etc. Lots of discount codes out there to use as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Patton View Post
              There are tons of Colorado OTC options for Archery, 2nd Rifle, and 3rd rifle. Montana has OTC options for Late Archery, Late Muzzleloader, Early and Late Rifle. There are also draw unit with very high odds of drawing (sometimes as high as 100%) that could be considered. Some units have very little public land, or only hold elk in late winter etc. so you have to be particular when selecting a unit. This is where GoHunt can come into play though for filtering units with X% public land, bull:cow ratio etc. Lots of discount codes out there to use as well.
              Thanks, I'll give it a look!

Comment

Depends on units for Colorado but there are over the counter archery hunts available. I went to Utah this year. They have unlimited archery tags otc and the cheapest tag but the hunting happens right before the rut starts so it's a bit harder to hunt

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm kinda interested also. I'll look in to this gohunt.

Comment

Go Hunt is a good tool. If you have the time, most of the information is out on the states websites. It will just take you a while to analyze it. Go Hunt is definitely worth it if you have it in your elk budget. Generally speaking, Colorado OTC units get plenty of pressure, but still have elk. It’s about 90% preparation and 10% luck to kill one. Average archery success rate about 10-12% in most units. Warning: it’s highly addictive. The trip alone is worth the price of admission though. If I can get myself back in shape, I have a trip planned myself.

Comment

While our elk hunts are all a drawing for NR , I would look into hunting in Wyoming.
                      Buy a PP next summer, or apply and take a chance at a random drawn tag this year.
                      We allow rifle and archery hunting on most tags.
                      Cow tags are a random draw so all have the same odds, also reduced price. You could hunt cows for cheap and get to know an area.
                      Wyoming takes some planning but it's worth it.

Colorado has more elk and more hunters, but OTC tags.

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefWhackABuck View Post

I think there are just as many bow hunters and muzzle loaders as rifle. Especially as the technology of these items increase every year.

Comment

Oregon has OTC tags for Roosevelt elk in the western sections.

Comment

Kinda late in the season for this year. When are you looking to hunt?

PM me if you are interested in OTC in Washington State.

Comment

Originally posted by AgTag23 View Post
                              What states and what units can I purchase an OTC elk tag (bull or cow) as a nonresident to hunt? Thanks.

A few years ago my buddy and I looked into this and found Idaho was the cheapest, and easiest to find exactly the type of terrain/ environment you are looking for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X