Any Ford mechanics on board...misfiring issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
    My son came home from college for thanksgiving and after I asked him if the truck was running ok... he said, Oh yeah, i was gonna tell ya, it has been running bad and says check engine. Geez...

I went to Autozone and it said the cam position sensor was bad and # 5 cylinder was misfiring. Along with an EVAP issue.

It is a 2002 F150 with the 4.6 engine. Had OEM platinum plugs and coils replaced 60K miles ago. Truck has 153K miles on it.

I ended up taking him back to school as I thought I had it corrected, but nope...

after the autozone Cam position sensor along with a coil did not fix the issue I got a ford OEM cam sensor. helped a lot. now to my delima...

It starts fine and idles fine. At about 45 MPH and RPM of about 12-1300...if I accelerate gently, it misfires quite a bit. If i give it enough gas to downshift and raise RPM to 2000, runs smooth as can be...... WHY ? bad plug?

I disconnected the battery to clear the codes and check engine light is not on anymore. IDEAS ???

thanx,
    I work at a Ford dealership what are the codes number like p0305 a technician is going to need to know that.
    Thanks Anthony

Comment

Also, get yourself a $20 OBD2 Bluetooth scanner off Amazon and download the Torque Pro app....

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
        I work at a Ford dealership what are the codes number like p0305 a technician is going to need to know that.
        Thanks Anthony
        Will have to look when I get home from work

Comment

I didn't read thru all the responses but I had the same issue with my old ford and every time it ended up being a bad coil. It would take it a few weeks at times before the check engine light would come on. What I would do when it did that was pull the wire off one injector at a time and power brake until I found the cylinder that it didn't make it worse. I had to do this a lot, reason why I don't own a Ford anymore.

Comment

Had a similar issue on that same engine.It was the air/fuel mix valve.$100 part back then.Good luck!

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
              Also, get yourself a $20 OBD2 Bluetooth scanner off Amazon and download the Torque Pro app....
              Sounds like that would be a handy thing to have

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                Sounds like that would be a handy thing to have
                It is.....👍

If my truck is running it's in operation with data showing on my old Note 3 phone.....
                Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-09-2019, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X