Wood splitter - Works great

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood splitter - Works great

Finally got a 25 ton wood splitter. Works great. Should have enough wood split to last years

Wish you were closer.. I have some pecan logs I need to split and don't wanna by hand.

Comment

You're about to make a bunch of friends. LOL

Comment

Mines only rated at 8 lbs
        I tossed around the idea of an electric one but really didn’t see great reviews

Comment

8lbs, 1MP and works cheap until doctor bills! I hate spitting wood by hand unless it’s knot free ash.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
            8lbs, 1MP and works cheap until doctor bills! I hate spitting wood by hand unless it’s knot free ash.
            It’s my work out
            I just split a little at a time here & there
            I ain’t splitting a lot at one time

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
              You're about to make a bunch of friends. LOL
              X2

Yep, lines already starting at your front door.

Comment

If anyone's within an hour drive or so from Bend or Lampasas and has wood to split just let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
                  It’s my work out
                  I just split a little at a time here & there
                  I ain’t splitting a lot at one time
                  That’s the only way to do it. When I was in my early 20s me and my younger brother cut a lot of firewood. We always spit it with a maul. That only lasted a few years! We got smarter in our money making! But it is a fun exercise you clear your mind and repeat no stress.
                  We would have loved to have a splitter like Riverrat pic. That is a man saver for sure.
                  Now that I’m older it would jar my bones to slam an 8lbs maul into some knotted hickory! I have had all that fun I want.

Those hydraulic splitters will chew it up and spit it out fast.

Comment

Originally posted by Killer View Post
                    That’s the only way to do it. When I was in my early 20s me and my younger brother cut a lot of firewood. We always spit it with a maul. That only lasted a few years! We got smarter in our money making! But it is a fun exercise you clear your mind and repeat no stress.
                    We would have loved to have a splitter like Riverrat pic. That is a man saver for sure.
                    Now that I’m older it would jar my bones to slam an 8lbs maul into some knotted hickory! I have had all that fun I want.

Those hydraulic splitters will chew it up and spit it out fast.
                    Yep I’m almost 48 so I have to pace myself
                    My dad split wood with a maul into his 60s
                    Maybe one of these days I’ll get smarter & invest in one
                    Hydraulic is probably the way to go versus electric I would imagine

Comment

I was just looking at that one and a couple others today. I think I want a free standing one like this rather than one hooked up to 3-point hitch and hydraulics on my tractor. Seems like it would be better to keep the tractor and bucket freed up to lift and haul wood while splitting.

Comment

They're good splitters. I have had mine for 5 years and zero problems.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                          I was just looking at that one and a couple others today. I think I want a free standing one like this rather than one hooked up to 3-point hitch and hydraulics on my tractor. Seems like it would be better to keep the tractor and bucket freed up to lift and haul wood while splitting.
                          Now that I've used it for an hour I really wish they were more available to rent. That would be the way to go. Just get a big pile of logs ready and rent for a half day...Done for a year or two. No worries on upkeep or storage. Even if rental cost $150 that would end up way cheaper versus buying.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            Now that I've used it for an hour I really wish they were more available to rent. That would be the way to go. Just get a big pile of logs ready and rent for a half day...Done for a year or two. No worries on upkeep or storage. Even if rental cost $150 that would end up way cheaper versus buying.
                            That's the exact daily rate by me.
                            It's actually a weekend rental
                            Pick up 10am Saturday
                            Drop off by 9am Monday

Me and my neighbor split the cost and usually do 5-6 cords while we have it
                            He has a part-part time tree business with his son so they come across a good amount of trees

Comment

Splitters are nice. Like you said half day of splitting lasts years. I have one that hooks up on the back of my John Deere and whoever is running the lever gets a look every now and then cause there are a couple of finger pinch points that would take a finger off before you knew what happened. Everyone, please never get “comfortable” around this type equipment, best think is to know it can always bite you.

Comment

Working...
                              X