Company not following union contract

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
    Very well may be the case. I doubt it. But maybe.
    Especially considering he’s not a union member….

And that’s a pretty serious flaw. Seniority doesn’t mean better. But I’m not gonna argue with the union boys. They get pretty upset about it. Haha
    I’m no longer in the union. I have no dog in this fight. Just pointing out how some of these shops operate. And seniority is everything. When I was in it, this is the way I looked at it. I fought for a non member just as hard as a member because if you let management get away with stuff with a non member, they will do the same for a member. And every time I won with a non member, I would hit them up about joining. Most of the time, they would join.

Comment

May want to join Union for next issue like this. Sorry to say it but in Union dominated workforce they will be advanced. I be this new hire is already Union member and was brought on by one. Stinks but it’s how the world goes round

Comment

They may have an algorithm of how they fill vacancies. Where I work we have 3 methods of filling jobs. They are either placed up for bid and senior man who wants it gets it, hired off the street, or 2nd job back. These processes are done in rotation. In other words, every 3rd time there’s an opening they hire in off the street. A 2nd job back is how I got my job personally. I hired in as a low level employee. I swept floors and did general labor, but I was trained to fill in if someone called off. When there was an opening they asked me and other low level employees in my department if we wanted the job. I had the most seniority so now I’m a tire cooker. And yes, I’ve seen people hire into jobs that take 30 years to win a bid on.

Comment

Maybe find a better paying non union job?

Comment

I spent 17yrs as a union representative with 10 of those a President and 4yrs working with International reps. I will leave my opinion out of this and simply give you the laws that must be followed by the union and what you need to do. The union MUST represent you in the case there is an article in your labor agreement that gives a time frame for filing a grievance, you need to know those time frames for this to work. Everything needs to be in writing from this point forward, verbal will not work. You may have an article in your labor agreement that allows for 1st step grievances to be verbal but they generally must be "reduced to writing". Also you need to understand your Weingarten rights and make sure you have a representative with you for all conversations with the company. If the Union fails/refuses to represent you charges can be brought against them. Understand that last sentence, I said "fails to" not "fails in" representing you.

Who is your International? USW, UFCW, Teamsters?
            Also there will be a membership card not an application. You are being represented by the Private Sector not the Trades Union sector therefore membership cannot be denied.

Comment

Originally posted by PEC View Post
              I spent 17yrs as a union representative with 10 of those a President and 4yrs working with International reps. I will leave my opinion out of this and simply give you the laws that must be followed by the union and what you need to do. The union MUST represent you in the case there is an article in your labor agreement that gives a time frame for filing a grievance, you need to know those time frames for this to work. Everything needs to be in writing from this point forward, verbal will not work. You may have an article in your labor agreement that allows for 1st step grievances to be verbal but they generally must be "reduced to writing". Also you need to understand your Weingarten rights and make sure you have a representative with you for all conversations with the company. If the Union fails/refuses to represent you charges can be brought against them. Understand that last sentence, I said "fails to" not "fails in" representing you.

Who is your International? USW, UFCW, Teamsters?
              Also there will be a membership card not an application. You are being represented by the Private Sector not the Trades Union sector therefore membership cannot be denied.
              I will have to double check but I believe it’s the international brotherhood of painters and tradesmen. This is not for a forklift job. It for a forklift mechanic job which is the highest paying job in the plant

Comment

I just figured out why my paint costs so much. You bunch of greedy union folks done took over the paint department.
                I’ve always told my boys if they don’t like where they work…quit and find the one you like. They’re both self employed now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot4900 View Post
                  I just figured out why my paint costs so much. You bunch of greedy union folks done took over the paint department.
                  I’ve always told my boys if they don’t like where they work…quit and find the one you like. They’re both self employed now.

Out of curiosity, what do you and your boys do for a living?

Comment

Company not following union contract

Construction. I was a cop for 14 years while building houses, slept about 5 hours a day for those 14 years.
                    Hard work and determination will get you anything you want.

Last edited by Buckshot4900; 01-15-2022, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Construction. I was a cop for 14 years while building houses, slept about 5 hours a day for those 14 years.

So that’s why my taxes were so high and having a house built is so expensive…
                      See how that works?

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                        So that’s why my taxes were so high and having a house built is so expensive…
                        See how that works?

You’re trying to start an argument with the wrong guy. I worked by
                        “Word of mouth” my whole career.
                        I agree stuff is ridiculously high but it’s caused by greedy people which does not fit me at all.

Comment

You’re trying to start an argument with the wrong guy. I worked by
                          “Word of mouth” my whole career.
                          I agree stuff is ridiculously high but it’s caused by greedy people which does not fit me at all.

I am not trying to start an argument…
                          You don’t know what the man makes, but chose to comment that he is obviously making too much because your paint is expensive…
                          Get over yourself

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                            I am not trying to start an argument…
                            You don’t know what the man makes, but chose to comment that he is obviously making too much because your paint is expensive…
                            Get over yourself

Whatever that means, I’ll try

Comment

Whatever that means, I’ll try

It’s harder for some…

Comment

Started seeing a few comments that you are not covered as a non dues payer. BS. You Are covered under the same contract as everyone else. If the Union won’t file a grievance (under our contract, any member (dues or not) can file a Step 1 grievance. See if you can do that to start with. Then if needed, contact the NLRB (National Labor Relation Board) in Ft. Worth. Tell them the whole story including the local not moving on this. Get the Feds involved and both company and Union will jump.

Sorry if others already said this.

Comment

Working...
                                X