Smoked Cheese

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chance Love View Post
    Never even thought about doing this on the Rectec!
    Chance I should have been clearer on that. The recteq acts only as a smoke box. I use only the smoke tube for smoke. After 4 hours the cheese was not even warm to the touch with the cool temps we have now. I have done it in the summer and it still comes out good.

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
      So you just use the pellet tube and leave the grill off?

Been thinking about doing this for a while. Probably order one of those tubes and give it a go.

Can you put in ziplocs to set in fridge and mellow? Or what are y'all doing with it?
      Spot on...only the smoke tube for smoke. I bought mine on Amazon they are super cheap.

I use vacuum seal but from what I have read online ziplocks work just fine as well.

Comment

taste is awesome!

Comment

Do you flip it halfway through?

Comment

Originally posted by mikeyb_23 View Post
            Do you flip it halfway through?
            I do but only because I have it on butcher paper. If you set it directly on the grill I don't think you would need to.

Comment

Well since I am in lockdown from the COVID, I might as well smoke some cheese! Amazon delivery tomorrow and H‑E‑B pickup for the cheese as well!

Comment

You don't eat it right off the smoke cause of the make of cheese?

I did this creame cheese Saturday and we ate it right off the smoker.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                  You don't eat it right off the smoke cause of the make of cheese?

I did this creame cheese Saturday and we ate it right off the smoker.

You don't eat dense cheese right away because the smoke needs to blossom. Most take it from the smoke then vacuum seal it for a couple days before eating it.

Comment

I actually like the full smoke flavor right out of the smoker. The cheese cures better if you let it sit. We smoke, rest for a week in fridge, then vac seal and freeze. Have some that sat frozen for 2 years and no negative impact. Try some Gouda and some Swiss in addition to Motz and Cheddar. Harder cheeses don’t absorb the flavor as well.

Comment

Smoked Cheese

Tilamook makes some big blocks that smoke well.

Comment

I have a vertical smoker and just add a pan to divert any heat from the smoke cube.

My photo is salmon, but i do cheese the same way.

Comment

I add ice in the smoker box to cold smoke cheese and salmon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

sprinkle some course pepper on it.

Comment

Love some smoked Gouda...

Comment

I'm smoking some right now. Do you vacuum pack right after smoking and leave in fridge?

Comment

Working...
                                X