looking for a "duck hunting" gun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

looking for a "duck hunting" gun

Not sure if this is in the right place but the story is i have been duck hunting once and goose hunting once in my 39 years. A coworker has invited me to start going with him and figured it couldnt hurt to join him when I can as i am a single dad so I dont get much time for hunting etc. I know always buy something that starts with a 'B'. I handled a SBE 3 and Fab arms today and really liked them just not convinced i need to spend 1700 on one. I just dont have any synthetic shotguns as mine are all nice wood stock guns or i wouldnt be looking. So tell me why i should spend the money and cry once or If anyone has a nice one they want to make a deal on that would be great too. Thanks for any help

Really no reason not to use your wood stocked guns unless you just are looking for an excuse for a new gun. Killed thousands of ducks with an old Mossberg pump action.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Benelli Super Nova.

Comment

I've absolutely love love love my Beretta A390 and Mossberg 935. Paid $400 each for em. Between those 2, I can go after everything with wings from dove to crane.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Shop around for a 390 and by all means pass any 400 dollar ones this way

If you want new, a300, weatherby sa8 or something in the franchi line if you dont want to drop 1700. I personally cant stand the action on anything that rhymes with benelli

Comment

Lots of options out there for a good duck gun well under $1700. I have a Beretta A300 that's been a duck killing machine. It cost me $700 and even has the "B" to show off to the cool club. Winchester SX4, Mossberg 930/935, Weatherby Element, Franchi Affinity are all great autos. Go 3" in black and save the extra grand for all the other stuff you don't really need.

Comment

If you are hunting 3-4 times a year I would use whatever shotgun you have already and use regularly. Blows my mind how many guys will switch guns throughout the year and wonder why they shoot inconsistently. Pick up one gun at the start of dove season and use it through duck season.

Comment

I been pretty happy with my Franchi Affinity so far.

Comment

My beretta a300 has killed hundreds of birds for me over the last 5 or so years without ever failing once. Can't say the same for the other guys shooting the higher dollar guns in the blind.

It's only limitation is it maxes at 3". but that has always been plenty for me.

Comment

Originally posted by OTL91 View Post
                    If you are hunting 3-4 times a year I would use whatever shotgun you have already and use regularly. Blows my mind how many guys will switch guns throughout the year and wonder why they shoot inconsistently. Pick up one gun at the start of dove season and use it through duck season.
                    Winner right here. Guys used to give me hell for showing up to clay shoots with a $250 used shotgun but the laughing quit when the only shotgun I have shot for 15 yrs straight is cleaning the course and they can't hit anything with their $2000 dollar "skeet gun" they shoot 3 times a year.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

After dropping my engraved 1100 in three feet of muddy water I bought a Mossberg 835 plastic stocked ugly shotgun. If I run out of ammo it’s a club, if the boat motor dies it’s a paddle.

Comment

I’d be looking for a Punt gun if it was me haha

On a serious note, the expensive fancy semi auto waterfowl shotguns are pretty much all worth the money. I have an sbe ii that I thought I was nuts paying for 6 years ago, best money I’ve ever spent.

Comment

Remington 870 Super Mag.

Looks like they are going for under $500 and are reliable and versatile guns. And I don’t worry when it gets a little dirty.
                          Last edited by RUNNING BEAR; 12-30-2021, 09:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RUNNING BEAR View Post
                            Remington 870 Super Mag.

Looks like they are going for under $500 and are reliable and versatile guns. And I don’t worry when it gets a little dirty.
                            All day from Dove and quail to turkey and geese

Comment

Thanks for the suggestion's fellas. The reason i dont just use what i have is all but one of my shotguns are really nice shotguns handed down from my grandad. In general, I do shoot the same gun for everything, but im not taking that nice 1100 in duck hunting conditions. I do agree with the fact i can shoot that better than the citori over and under i "needed" since i take clients to skeet shoots a lot. Took me several years before i got decent with it and was p$ssed the several years it took me to get there but i sure looked cool haha. Ive been researching online for a month now and you read all kinds of pros and cons and everytime i think i have one picked out i read a negative review and shy away but some of them have been recommended here so i feel more confident in getting one now.

Comment

Working...
                              X