No announcement yet.

Do dogs mourn?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel for our 2 dogs. We are not getting any more animals to replace any critter that goes over the rainbow bridge...

Comment

Good 10 year old thread.

My GSD grieved for almost a month when I went to the USMC boot camp. He was lethargic and no appetite. Ma-In-Law was his keeper and eventually brought him back around by developing a new routine….particularly daily exercise. I came home from 4 yesrs in Corps and I was just another swinging johnson as far as he was concerned.

Comment

Absolutely they do. I had a heeler and Australian Shepperd that I got 3 months apart and both lived to 19 years of age. The heeler passed away (she was in poor health) and the shepperd (who was in good health for his age) went down hill quickly. He moped around the entire time.

Comment

I don't own a dog, but several years ago there was a story about a soldier who was killed and it was apparent that the dog understood what had happened...even laying next to his casket during the funeral. I saved the photo because it was such a powerful image.
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Navajo View Post
            Twice in my life, with the last one being this last month. I have had a dog die, then the other one just mopes around and searches, then she stopped eating and she also died 2 weeks later. I totally think they mourn to the point that they quit eating. Iv'e seen it.
            If you feel it...They feel it...

Comment

Our dog watched my dad bury his cat friend. The dog avoided my dad for a couple weeks

Comment

Definitely.
                Last edited by DUKFVR; 12-27-2021, 05:20 PM.

Comment

Not sure if they mourn so much as miss the other animal’s constant company.

Comment

Absolutely...they also can sense sadness in us, as well as sense when we are sick and under the weather. If one of us get sick, the dogs attach themselves and won't leave our side until we get to feeling better.

And as Jerp stated, it is the reason we are always a 2 dog household...when the older dogs time to cross the rainbow bridge happens, the mourning begins and we usually scramble to find a pup to help overcome the sadness.

Comment

Without a doubt they do.

Comment

Yes sir they do. I dread the day my 10yr old chocolate passed that bridge. Not only will it be devastating to our family but our 5 year old lab, who is her son, those 2 are inseparable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yes they do.

Comment

I believe they do. Not as long as humans but they do for a few weeks or so.

Comment

go watch where the red fern grows.

Comment

Is the Pope Catholic?

Comment

Working...
                                X