SW Colorado OTC archery elk changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SW Colorado OTC archery elk changes

Has anyone heard much about this change coming for SW Colorado units that were OTC becoming a limited draw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This will be good info to know for those who normally hunt these units OTC.

Comment

Units? Link you seen this?

Comment

I saw someone post (somewhere) that most of the southern units will be draw only for archery elk in 2020. Whoever it was actually posted a map of the affected units. I did a little searching on the Colorado Parks and Wildlife page but didn't find anything. However, if its true, it is certainly a game changer for me and my crew. We were planning on going back to the Pagosa Springs area this year for elk hunting (public land). Bummer if true.

Comment

I haven't heard this. Always hear rumors but that is usually all they are. CO likes that $ and likely won't change that too much. I would like to see a few more limited draw units personally. Would make for some better hunting but you couldn't get a tag every year.

Comment

Nothing would surprise me. I remember when they went from OTC to draw for mule deer. It had a HUGE negative impact on many small businesses in Colorado that depended on the hunting season revenue. About the same time, they outlawed running bears and mountain lions with dogs and baiting for bears. Consequently, the predator population exploded and the mule deer population plummeted. The hunting in that state has changed a lot in the last 40+ years and its not all been good.

Comment

I copied this from another forum:

I am writing today to update all our members on the upcoming January 15-16 Parks and Wildlife Commission (PWC) meeting. It appears based on November commission discussion, BIG regulation changes to archery elk are possible. This is your chance to get involved to shape future bowhunter opportunity. We are asking you to review the CBA position, and send YOUR comments to the PWC.

In November the PWC was presented an issue paper to totally limit archery elk licensing in units 70, 71, 72, 73, 74, 75, 77, 78, 711, 741, 751, & 771. If you read the issue paper it also states the changes will apply to E-16, units 44, 45, 47, & 444. The CPW big game brochure shows archers are already limited in 4 flat top GMU’s, and 3 GMU’s around Steamboat, while rifle IS NOT LIMITED. Alternative 1 & 2 would result in limiting licenses for 23 GMU’s for ONLY archery hunters, while rifle hunting remains unlimited in the same 23 GMU’s.

At the conclusion of the November commission discussion, sportsperson representative commissioner Charles Garcia directed CPW staff to prepare language to pass Alternative 1 outlined in the issue paper for final vote in January. Alternative 1 would totally limit all archery elk licensing in these units to bull only limited licenses, and cow only limited licenses. Not only would we would lose unlimited OTC licensing, but it would remove either sex harvest capability for archery hunters. Commissioner Garcia also continually mentions limiting the Grand county units for archers, we suspect that will be next and this is not over. If you value OTC hunting, now is the time to speak up.

Our past member surveys have suggested 76% of our members do not support limiting archery elk licensing, while 24% do. Our past two surveys can be found here, and here. CPW’s own BGSS surveys suggest bowhunters place a higher priority on guaranteed OTC licensing compared to fewer hunters field.
              While the elk herds in the SW are suffering from low calf/cow ratios, Issue paper alternative 3 will serve to improve and aid the elk herd while being fair to all hunters.
              Our objective is (1) to keep you informed, and (2) ask you to comment directly to the Parks and Wildlife commission. Please take a look at our written input to the commission here. We would ask our members to email YOUR PERSONAL INPUT directly to the commissioners and CPW at their addresses below:
              michelle.zimmerman@state.co.us
              marvin.mcdaniel@state.co.us
              jim.vigil@state.co.us
              betsy.blecha@state.co.us
              carrie.hauser@state.co.us
              charles.garcia@state.co.us
              Eden.Vardy@state.co.us
              Luke.Schafer@state.co.us
              marie.haskett@state.co.us
              robert.bray@state.co.us
              Taishya.Adams@state.co.us
              dnr_cpwcommission@state.co.us

Comment

I thought they already voted on their 5 year plan and this wasn’t part of it . I hope it isn’t true unit I hunt is on that list . Almost like it’s targeting Texas hunters coming up lol .

Comment

No rumors it passed last week. Yes all SW units are a draw for archery now and most tags are bull only no longer either sex.

Comment

Originally posted by ORIONTHEHUNTER View Post
                    No rumors it passed last week. Yes all SW units are a draw for archery now and most tags are bull only no longer either sex.
                    Where can we read about this. ?

Comment

In 7 years of NR Elk hunting I have paid the equivalent of 90 + Resident elk hunters in license fees. So multiply that by all the Non Resident hunters that come to Colorado. CO DOW will stand to lose a bunch of dollars if they make those changes. I believe I read that only about 10% of Colorado Residents purchase Hunting Licenses. That does not take into consideration the positive economic value hunters bring to the small towns throughout Colorado.

Comment

I might be wrong--I HAVE been wrong before---but, I believe this will have a large economic impact on Colorado. I'm not against it if herd numbers are declining. I hate it because I really love Colorado in the fall. Looks like I'll be spending my time and money elsewhere. It was fun while it lasted!

Comment

Ah hell, have 17 pts this suxs!!!

No way I’m wasting those points in an past otc unit. With demand it won’t be like most the Southern Mulie draws with 1 or less point draws. So even second and third choice is out

Going to a huge tag turn back going on. Southern CO is Utah, NM, TX, AZ back up plan, so now they will apply as back up

Comment

Originally posted by Grulla View Post
                            Where can we read about this. ?
                            You can pull up on their meeting minutes on the CPW website

Comment

Yeah this throws a serious wrench in game plans for hunting elk I. Colorado this year! It may be an easy draw but a draw non the less. It may be implemented to ensure everyone is having to buy the small game license also to put in for the draw... just a thought to ensure another 100$ from everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X