No announcement yet.

mountain lion sighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw a young one in that area in the late 80's was prolly 10-15 yards from me. 101% young mountain lion. It was October and it was hot, I was close enough to see water drop off its tongue as it was panting. Many years later I discovered a spring in that area, guess it had been there for a drink. Had a 16ga loaded with sixes looking up a tree for a barking squirrel when I saw it, I could have easily killed it. But I was pretty young at the time, I considered shooting it, but was scared to move, haha. Cat took a few steps and got behind an big tree and I turned and ran so fast there was prolly smoke coming off my trail. Ran all the way back to camp, never slowed down, never looked back.

I bet that poor cat did the same when I took off. None of the men that we hunted with believed me. Outright called me a liar, I was vindicated the following weekend when we were planting and it walked out on a right away in some fresh plowed dirt about 150 yrds away. They all oooooed and awed taking turns looking at it through a scope. I was beaming, my first taste of vindication!

We had a grown one sighted three times over a three week period in the early 2000's in the same area.

Comment

We have them south of the border. When one moves in - the deer move out.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by walker1983 View Post
        We have them south of the border. When one moves in - the deer move out.
        I'll vouch for that statement. I saw one from my pop-up blind cross a sendero in the back of our place 3 years ago. We did not see much of anything back in that part of the pasture for the rest of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
          I saw a juvenile coug. It was late at night and it was sitting on my tractor seat, under the the roof. It was raining, seemed liked it wanted out of the rain. About half the guys believed me, the other half poked fun.
          You ever get the DNA sample back from the hair? Never saw you update that thread? Just am curious

Comment

Originally posted by ddmm View Post
            7 miles north of Goldthwaite off 183
            That sounds like the Mullin area.183 and FM 573?That is north of my ranch.The Pecan bayou runs into the Colorado river in that area.

Comment

We have quite a few in Terrell county where our lease is.

Comment

Yes, McMullen county.

Comment

Saw a cool video from my buddy who has a lease south of the border. Ranch hands live trapped one using a live goat on the ranch next to his lease. Coach

Comment

Saw one crossing hwy in Glen Rose about 20 yrs ago. Havent seen one sence.

Comment

Saw one in Evant while hunting on two different occasions.

Also saw one outside of Marlin.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandNew22 View Post
                        Red fox also sounds like screaming not sure if y'all have any in yalls location or not
                        So do peacocks. We actually have some wild peacocks in Limestone county.

Comment

My only sighting was a long time ago when I was scouting a new lease west of Cross Plains. I was standing on a tank dam glassing a pasture when a mountain lion popped out of a creek bottom maybe 50-75 yards away. I had a clear view and watched him through my binos for several minutes. The next weekend the game warden dropped by and I told him about it. He basically told me I was full of you-know-what and what I saw was not a mountain lion. Although he heard the same story from hunters occasionally he had worked that area for decades without seeing one so he would not believe it until someone brought him a dead one. I asked that he clarify if he was calling me a liar or a dumbass - which did not go over to well.

Comment

Originally posted by PolkCounty View Post
                            we hunt in the same area, i have not seen any lions but my dad saw 1 in the early 80's. i do see a lot of red fox though, someone posted that they have a similar sound.
                            We also have a lot of red fox.

A lady that use to work for my Papa about 10 years ago saw one cross the road on Ray Marsh and then PaPa shot at one off the back porch a few years back that was not being nice to his beagles.
                            I have seen tracks in food plots back on Sandy Creek before.

Comment

Seen 3. 2 in McMullen and one in Live Oak. The one in Live oak ran across the road(1359) in front of me around 4am. One in McMullen ran across west of 624/59 intersection and the other was walking down a wide sendero on the neighboring property on the nueces river.

Comment

Originally posted by ddmm View Post
                                Mountain lion sighting on our ranch crossing a pasture in mills county, near Goldthwaite this evening.
                                One of our cows has a big chunk taken out of its front shoulder. Appears to be a possible attack from this mountain lion.
                                Anyone else seen a mountain lion on your place?
                                So you didn't actually have a sighting?...

Comment

Working...
                                X