Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for DIY Honda Pioneer oil change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for DIY Honda Pioneer oil change?

How many guys here have a Honda side x side and do their own oil change?

I looked up a video and it looked easy. DIY looks to cost around $45 Taking it to the shop they want $275

I know shops are not cheap but am I missing something? Is it more complicated than I think?

What else needs to be checked on these machines besides an oil change?

If they can do it...……………
    You can do it...…..

Comment

no way I would pay 275 to get oil changed in any SxS. Just google it and see what else they service and do it yourself, there are probably youtube videos on the whole process

Comment

It’s easy. I’ve been buying a kit off amazon for mine. It comes with the Honda oil, oil filter, and air filter for $50.

Comment

It’s shop labor. Place I’m at it’s 109 a hr, even for a zero turn mower

Comment

Just give Jason a six pack of beer he will get er done. It’s easy Tim I do mine, don’t forget the air filter.

Comment

It's not bad...at all. You dont have to take all the stuff off they say to get to things. It's a little tougher to reach into, but not bad at all.

Dont over torque the filter bolts going into the aluminum housing.

Other than that its straightfoward.

If its first or second oil change you need to look at hours and see if valves need adjusting after wearing in. Most dont.

Cant beat a honda.

Comment

Not Honda, but we do our own work on our Can Ams for the same reason. $260 oil change at the shop + trailering over and back home, or $50 and knock her out in 20 minutes while tinkering around the shop? It’s a no brainer to me.

Comment

It's not hard. You can youtube a video or just use the manual instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy360 View Post
                    It's not bad...at all. You dont have to take all the stuff off they say to get to things. It's a little tougher to reach into, but not bad at all.

Dont over torque the filter bolts going into the aluminum housing.

Other than that its straightfoward.

If its first or second oil change you need to look at hours and see if valves need adjusting after wearing in. Most dont.

Cant beat a honda.
                    Same.
                    I used an extension maybe a swivel to reach everything easier.
                    Takes half hour maybe.
                    I get the kit off Amazon also.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by thebowhunters View Post
                      Just give Jason a six pack of beer he will get er done. It’s easy Tim I do mine, don’t forget the air filter.
                      Jason would likely do more than $275 in damage.
                      As stated, YouTube will have plenty of info.

Comment

I don't have the pioneer, but the manual on my big red says to pull the passenger seat and all the plastic on that side to get to the filter. Then remove the plate on the underside to access the drain plug. I did that the first time I changed it, and realized I could just as easily access the filter from the plate and frame hole on the underside. Saved myself almost an hour every time since. It's tight in there and several choice words are said. It beats the shop prices though. I may take it in the next time to have them do a full service, since it's 10 years old now. I bought a thing called pit pass when I bought the side by side. The first oil change and service were included. They adjusted the lifters and all that stuff then.

Comment

Make sure, you run it for a few minutes, before changing
                          the oil.....…
                          Just a thought...………..

Comment

I do it on my Pioneer 500 all the time. I get Honda oil from the local dealer and the oil filter. Both could be bought at your local Auto Parts store also. Be careful of O’Reily, they have their filters coded wrong and they will give you the wrong one, even thought their system says its right.

Comment

I do it on my Pioneer 700-4. Easy! Have no fear!

Comment

Working...
                              X