Home Solar Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Solar Systems

With the prices these days it seems like a complete system could be paid back in 7 years or less. So I started digging around.
    I am looking at a DIY install on power optimizer type system. What are the latest and greatest options for solar?

Planning for about 1000kWH average monthly usage over the year. I'm not concerned with backup battery systems, just want to power the house and pick up credits from the energy company, unless there is a compelling reason why.

Following

Comment

I live in a 3100sqft 2 story house, and my electricity bill averages $160/mo. I just don’t see how solar could ever pay for itself!!!!

Good luck!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Have not done the research but it seems to me like a majority of the cost would be the battery banks. So if you are just going to use and or sell unused power back to the utility company it could be paid off fast.

What companies are you looking at??

Comment

Here is what I have researched, but I am hoping to hear real world experiences good and bad.
          5kW system is about 25'x11' worth of panels and supposedly last 25+ years, which would generate about 700kWH/month on average based on texas sun and solar panel efficiencies. Most electricity providers bill you on the net power used, therefore if you use 2000kwH to cool your house, then you would only pay for 2000-700=1300. At a prime rate of 9cents/kwH you will save $117.

A 5kW system runs about $8,000, DIY. Federal tax credit available to get back 30%, which would put the system cost at $5,700. 5700/117 = 48 (months til you break even based on savings). This is of course a very optimal number, but even 60 months would be a win if you ask me. Systems are very linear in cost and so is savings, until you reach the point that you generate more than you use.

I was avoiding the use of batteries right now as I hate dealing with batteries. They are not needed in basic setup. Seems the panels and inverter of the basic system are relatively maintenance free for years.

Lots of variables:
          Does energy provider pay you back for negative power use in form of credits? Only some do, but they also charge higher rates in general. If your company does not apply credits, you can only save as much as your bill would be per month, which increases recoup time.
          If you have a battery bank you could potentially save more if you plan it right.
          Angle and direction of your roof
          Our power just went out today for several hours, this would be avoided with small battery bank and panels.

Comment

Don't forget that solar panels lose efficiency every year and the structure deteriorates and needs replacement and that the chance of selling that home with a pile of panels on your roof goes down dramatically. Not a fan but because I was around the industry for a bit, Without Gov't asst. there is low chance of recouping money and house looks like crap.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              I live in a 3100sqft 2 story house, and my electricity bill averages $160/mo. I just don’t see how solar could ever pay for itself!!!!

Good luck!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

So, you average about 1900kWH/month, which is a bunch, considering the mild winters you should not be using so much.
              10kW system generates about 1500/month on average, so about $135
              $11,200 system / $135 = 7 years, for the next 20 years your "making" $135/month

Not saying it will get you rich , but seems reasonable, which is why I am asking around.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                Don't forget that solar panels lose efficiency every year and the structure deteriorates and needs replacement and that the chance of selling that home with a pile of panels on your roof goes down dramatically. Not a fan but because I was around the industry for a bit, Without Gov't asst. there is low chance of recouping money and house looks like crap.
                I was definitely going to mount them out of sight, I do not like the look of them. I have no understanding of reality, but some say the systems add value to house during a sell? I could definitely see both cases.

Thanks for the great feedback. I am very interested in pros and cons before I make a decision.

Comment

Originally posted by Wits_End View Post
                  Here is what I have researched, but I am hoping to hear real world experiences good and bad.
                  5kW system is about 25'x11' worth of panels and supposedly last 25+ years, which would generate about 700kWH/month on average based on texas sun and solar panel efficiencies. Most electricity providers bill you on the net power used, therefore if you use 2000kwH to cool your house, then you would only pay for 2000-700=1300. At a prime rate of 9cents/kwH you will save $117.

A 5kW system runs about $8,000, DIY. Federal tax credit available to get back 30%, which would put the system cost at $5,700. 5700/117 = 48 (months til you break even based on savings). This is of course a very optimal number, but even 60 months would be a win if you ask me. Systems are very linear in cost and so is savings, until you reach the point that you generate more than you use.

I was avoiding the use of batteries right now as I hate dealing with batteries. They are not needed in basic setup. Seems the panels and inverter of the basic system are relatively maintenance free for years.

Lots of variables:
                  Does energy provider pay you back for negative power use in form of credits? Only some do, but they also charge higher rates in general. If your company does not apply credits, you can only save as much as your bill would be per month, which increases recoup time.
                  If you have a battery bank you could potentially save more if you plan it right.
                  Angle and direction of your roof
                  Our power just went out today for several hours, this would be avoided with small battery bank and panels.
                  Would the savings be $117 or $63 on the 700 kWh?? Either way I can see some benefit.

Comment

waiting on the solar shingles to become mainstream. everything today seems like it will be obsolete in 5 to 10 years.

agree with others, that you need a power company that will let you put power back into the grid. otherwise you limit what you can store with batteries.

Comment

IMO this is like trying to calculate how much ice you would save over the next 10 years if you buy a Yeti versus a cheaper brand. If you want solar then buy solar. The math will never really work in the long run. But if you really want it to work you can force it to by leaving out the increase in house insurance, the decrease in solar output, the true repair/maintenance costs, the decrease in home value resell, plus a few more unseen costs.

I promise you the numbers they tell you are exaggerated as far as "savings" on electric.

Very hard to find a true accurate real life example because no one will pay that much and then admit how screwed they got.

ALL JMHO

Comment

Thinking of holding out for the solar shingles as well. This technology advances quickly and I don't want to be stuck the next 30 years with big bulky panels all over the house.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                          Would the savings be $117 or $63 on the 700 kWh?? Either way I can see some benefit.
                          oops, your right, trying to do it on the fly

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                            IMO this is like trying to calculate how much ice you would save over the next 10 years if you buy a Yeti versus a cheaper brand. If you want solar then buy solar. The math will never really work in the long run. But if you really want it to work you can force it to by leaving out the increase in house insurance, the decrease in solar output, the true repair/maintenance costs, the decrease in home value resell, plus a few more unseen costs.

I promise you the numbers they tell you are exaggerated as far as "savings" on electric.

Very hard to find a true accurate real life example because no one will pay that much and then admit how screwed they got.

ALL JMHO

Your opinion has lots of truth in it!

Comment

Working...
                            X