Why Are You Here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Are You Here?

As most of you know, I’ve never been a fan of political discussion (or religious debate) on this site. In the early days, we prohibited it completely. Eventually we started allowing it, with some strict guidelines, and ultimately created a separate forum, mostly to isolate it from the rest of the forums. Again, it was created with some specific guidelines.

Personally, I’m not a fan of political debates on social media, in general, but especially for this site. Politics are polarizing and stir deep emotions and more often than not create fractures within a group or organization, which can ultimately destroy said organization. I believed (and stated) this 21 years ago when we started TBH, and it’s even more polarizing today.

We have created, opened and closed the PACE forum many times. It’s a nightmare to moderate (“somebody else started it,” “if you’d just ban those troublemakers (the guys that we disagree with)”, “don’t read it if you don’t like it.”, etc.) and people frequently attribute something said on TBH as an opinion OF TBH.

That said, we have allowed it (PACE and political discussion) as a central place for our CONTRIBUTING members to discuss and share information at the same place where they discuss hunting, archery, family, etc. One of the primary rules we implemented to protect this is:

5. If more than 50% of your posts to the site are in the Politics/Current Events forum, it's likely you're not adding value to the site. If you don't add value to the site, there's no use for you to be here.

There are a LOT of people that are only here to argue and instigate with your political divisiveness, and have nothing else positive to offer the site. Most of you are blatantly obvious, so it’s not going to be a difficult place to start culling. If you are trying to log in and wondering why you’ve been removed, this is the likely reason.

A few others have been sucked in more recently. My advise to you would be to start working the numbers back in your favor (with sincere and legitimate posts).

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Comment

Thank you sir!!!

Comment

Everything on the planet is divisive. Tbh sure is no exception. From truck brands to 4 year old deer to advise on chainsaws to pictures of animals or animal behavior. Welcome to the planet.
            Hey, it's your ball, you can take it and go home. What fits your beliefs and views is in, what doesn't fit is out, we get it, it is YOUR sight. Do with it as you please. It is just another social media outlet that if it disappears it will be replaced by someone else tomorrow.

Comment

I'm not an ACTIVE bowhunter anymore, but I was for 35 or so years(1970-~2005). I like reading and listening to bowhunters talk about hunting. I contribute a little bit, but not a whole lot because I am not actively involved anymore. An anecdotal story once in a while.

I am interested in the politics of today and have responded here a lot more than I should, but I try and do keep it civil.

Comment

Perfect.

I do believe there are positives to having open (apart from the campfire) political debate. But in the instances that said “debate” turns obviously instigative and unnecessary, that’s when it is useless. That being said, I just wonder how often open debate can stay civil these days. TBH is my social media and that’s how it will continue to be. I won’t go on a rant about social media here but it is obvious to many why TBH is my only social media. Hopefully there’s still a possibility that those of us that use TBH for its intended purpose can occasionally debate civilly. Hopefully.

Comment

[emoji120][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji106][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji122][emoji120]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                    Everything on the planet is divisive. Tbh sure is no exception. From truck brands to 4 year old deer to advise on chainsaws to pictures of animals or animal behavior. Welcome to the planet.
                    Hey, it's your ball, you can take it and go home. What fits your beliefs and views is in, what doesn't fit is out, we get it, it is YOUR sight. Do with it as you please. It is just another social media outlet that if it disappears it will be replaced by someone else tomorrow.

I don’t have to take the ball. I can eject the player if he’s creating problems for the team.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Good question. My answer is the over all experience of TBH. I have bought a ton of stuff. Enjoy the hunt and fish threads. Have been reading the Pace threads. In the last 50 posts I have conmmented 7 times in Pace.
                      Over all experience...................

Comment

Fair enough. That's the way it's done these days, Twitter did it, Facebook did it, should expect no different here.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                          Fair enough. That's the way it's done these days, Twitter did it, Facebook did it, should expect no different here.

I’ll be awaiting a call from Ted Cruz.

But we’re an equal opportunity oppressor.

My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            I don’t have to take the ball. I can eject the player if he’s creating problems for the team.

[emoji91][emoji108][emoji91]

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

fellowship

Comment

Working...
                              X