Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone Eat Armadillos and/or Racoons?

Inquiring minds want to know .

What do you do to make sure you don't get leprosy or other diseases?

Those are East Texas Delicacies. I'm sure all the folks will get you up to speed when their dial up shows this thread. Haha!

Comment

I've tried both just to say I have. The coon wasn't too bad, the dillo was way too much effort for not much.

Comment

Hard pass.
        Last edited by ctom87; 09-21-2020, 12:13 PM.

Comment

Have eaten it but didn't care for it much.

Comment

I've always drawn the line at armadillo. May have eaten one unknowingly. Not sure.

Raccoon is good smoked and stewed. No BS. Not sure I'd eat a 30# boar coon. But normal ones are good.

But I prefer squirrel and rabbit over most things honestly.

Dang, I need to get after these squirrel and make some squirrel and dumplings now.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Nope, after I knew they are one of the only animals that carry leprosy. lol

Comment

Had racoon BBQ once. I wouldn't go out of my way to try it again, unless that's all I could find. Pretty greasy the way this one was cooked.

Comment

Just throw the whole thing on the coals and leave it all night, and eat the tail meat next morning. I had a friend nibble on one back in the day.

Comment

My neighbor who is 93 loves armadillo. She said it is by far her favorite. I haven't gotten the courage to eat one yet.

Comment

I have tried both. Hated coon every time I tried it. The following wasn't bad but I just don't like the idea. I'm way too good a hunter to have to eat junk like that.

Comment

I've eaten coon fixed just about every way you can fix them. My favorite way (after a thorough cleaning) is to cut the meat off the bones, season and chicken fry. It's good.
                        Armadillo, I prefer the recipe that Tony Chachere put in his cookbooks. It's called "Cleve's Smothered Armadillo".
                        It's pretty dang good. They're not bad grilled either. Just wear rubber gloves and try not to cut yourself while cleaning them.

Comment

We smoked a couple last year. Tasted like pork. I’m not going to target them, but I’d eat it again.

Comment

Eat boiled coon n sweet taters many, many times. Even BBQ'd small ones on an ol' smokey at the deer lease before all were good...
                            Hard pass on the possum on the half shell...

Comment

ate both BBQ'd way way back in middle 70's. both were ok. but nowhere close as good as the brisket and ribs my uncle was BBQing for the real meal.

I tried cleaning an armadillo in my early teens, but i had a dull knife and he was a tough one. so i stopped once i got the shell off and never tried again after i heard the leprosy stories.

Comment

Working...
                              X