No announcement yet.

Shop Air Lines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve done two runs in steel black pipe. Worked great!

I also ran a tee at the end of my drops, the t is sideways so you can come off horizontally for your reel with the down section having a ball valve to dump water or blow down lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bowfishin fool View Post
      I’ve done two runs in steel black pipe. Worked great!

I also ran a tee at the end of my drops, the t is sideways so you can come off horizontally for your reel with the down section having a ball valve to dump water or blow down lines!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Same thing for me , it took a little longer but lasted for years. I emptied my drop legs fairly often you would be surprised how much moisture builds up in the lines. I had a friend who ran PVC in his shop and it blew out while he was on vacation with no one around and his compressor ran for a week solid. Seems like the breaks always happen when you are not around

Comment

The air lines in our shop were installed 35 years ago. 1/2” sch 40 pvc. Hasn’t exploded killing everyone inside yet.

Comment

I am looking at running it in my garage as well. If you don't have a lot of LF to run this kit makes sense.

Comment

Too many unanswered questions. How big a shop, how long a run, just one single hose reel, what tools are you planning and how many at a time, size of your compressor and receiver???? I run black iron, drops every 10-20 feet, quick disconnect couplings, several blow downs, and painted to match the shop walls.

Comment

Dad ran air lines using PVC, I believe it was 3/4" in a 40' X 100' shop. We had that shop for 38 years and never had a failure or leak. It was not heated or cooled, the Texas temperatures didn't seem to affect it.

Comment

I owned and automotive shop for over 13 years, and managed others for about that same time, all had sch 40 PVC and never had an issue. When I run air in my shop at home in a bit, it will be the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Blank View Post
                  Too many unanswered questions. How big a shop, how long a run, just one single hose reel, what tools are you planning and how many at a time, size of your compressor and receiver???? I run black iron, drops every 10-20 feet, quick disconnect couplings, several blow downs, and painted to match the shop walls.
                  50X40 with probably 2 hose reels, but want a couple other disconnects in case I wanted to just hook up a hose for something.
                  60 gallon compressor with no receiver. The system will only be used for hobbies.

Comment

Black pipe for gas, is what we use and what I would recommend.

Comment

PVC...you are running at 20% of the MOWP....

you will be fine

Comment

I ran all PEX. Unless you have really dry air black pipe is a bad idea.

Comment

Best - Sch 40 black steel
                          Good - Pex
                          Cheep - PVC sch 40

Black steel and pex require some tools that everyone don't have. Pex fittings can get costly. Pvc is made in china. You get what you pay for.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                            I ran all PEX. Unless you have really dry air black pipe is a bad idea.
                            All air compressors should have a dryer and should be maintained to keep condensate out. Otherwise at some point the compressor will take a hit. Traps at low points in airlines should also be used regardless of piping material. Water getting into expensive air tools is not a good thing.
                            I do a blow down on my 150 psi compressor and 40 gal tank at least once a week and if I don't intend to use it for a while I just shut it off and release the air. Thinking about adding a desiccant filter on the air intake since I am always getting a lot of water at blowdown.

Comment

Pex is only rated at like 125 right? I have a combo of copper pipe to a 3/8 hose to a hose reel.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

This small bit of copper is just a dryer. Id say it removes around 98 percent of the problems I was having.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X