• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by greenmonstah View Post
    Can't hog hunt until April 1st, right?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk
    No closed season cant feed for them till april 1

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

Coming from someone who leases private land that neighbors the Nails Creek public area, the place will never be as good as it could be without communication. Hunters in there all have different techniques and schedules and rarely you find everyone on the same page. I can add my perspective coming from someone who for the last 11 years hunts next door and pretty much daylight to dark every day....i bow and rifle hunt and i know its way less crowded during the week. Most guys in there want to get as far away from the parking area as possible, but the retired Game Warden from Lee Co told me that some of the biggest killed in there during his tenure were taken within 300 yds of cord125(Nails Creek Unit). The only issue that i personally have delt with is hunters setting up on the fenceline trying to intercept deer crossing heading to or from one of my feeders (i have since moved them well inside my place) and have caught guys driving into my place to park and cross into there(my lease is near the center).....one bit of advise....in 9 of 11 seasons, i have taken my bigger buck(from a 119 9pt to a 149 11pt) in the first week of december (all from the 4th to the 9th) and 7 of those 9 during the week....its when the 2nd rut happens and the older bigger bucks zero in on the last hot does...anyways i hope this helps, my motto is "if i cant get the big buck, i hope someone does" ...ill share any knowledge in things noticed from the outside that i have. Its all about everyone having a great experience while respecting the woods and each other and being rewarded with a good deer

Comment

Originally posted by rackballer View Post
        Coming from someone who leases private land that neighbors the Nails Creek public area, the place will never be as good as it could be without communication. Hunters in there all have different techniques and schedules and rarely you find everyone on the same page. I can add my perspective coming from someone who for the last 11 years hunts next door and pretty much daylight to dark every day....i bow and rifle hunt and i know its way less crowded during the week. Most guys in there want to get as far away from the parking area as possible, but the retired Game Warden from Lee Co told me that some of the biggest killed in there during his tenure were taken within 300 yds of cord125(Nails Creek Unit). The only issue that i personally have delt with is hunters setting up on the fenceline trying to intercept deer crossing heading to or from one of my feeders (i have since moved them well inside my place) and have caught guys driving into my place to park and cross into there(my lease is near the center).....one bit of advise....in 9 of 11 seasons, i have taken my bigger buck(from a 119 9pt to a 149 11pt) in the first week of december (all from the 4th to the 9th) and 7 of those 9 during the week....its when the 2nd rut happens and the older bigger bucks zero in on the last hot does...anyways i hope this helps, my motto is "if i cant get the big buck, i hope someone does" ...ill share any knowledge in things noticed from the outside that i have. Its all about everyone having a great experience while respecting the woods and each other and being rewarded with a good deer

I don't think there is a right or wrong to the hunting deer coming from your feeder issue. The public land hunter could say that you are luring the deer from public land just the same. My question is if you have a feeder that close and you shoot a deer that crosses into public land are you going to retrieve it? Do you pay the extra $48 a year to have access to the public land? I found a deer blind on private land set up about 30 yards from the fence line separating the public from the private with heavy woods on the private land side of the blind. So obviously they were hunting deer coming from public land or even in public land. Do you think they pay extra to hunt both? Is it even legal to do that?

Comment

Can set the feeder/stand anywhere on your property but supposed to consider neighbors when doing so. Ethical? definitely not. I would never shoot a high velocity rifle in the direction potentially smack a person. We go there to hunt animals and not people But I guess if you have the state permit its legal to cross and retrieve an animal? Not certain about that one. Lucky to have a lease bordering the property as its a good opportunity to manage animals escaping the pressure from the chasing WMA hunters

The pigs have vanished compared to last year. I do see lots of signs but guessing lower numbers are nocturnal. My guess is private land owners thinned the sounders during the flood last year when the waters pushed em up. I found them after the flood last year on higher ground and it was great but definitely not seeing the numbers this year. Anybody found them ?

Comment

I pulled my cameras and haven't been out there in a month. I was seeing fresh sign in my spot but not much on camera. This rain will probably bring them back as they have been running the creek beds since the water is so shallow still. I'm pretty sure they are still around. I'll probably get back out there next weekend.

Comment

When i first leased the land, i had 2 blind/feeder set ups that both were approx 60yds from that fenceline (i share around 900 yds of public land fence. The problem i had was 2 crossbow hunters (i had heard they were a husband & wife) were setting up literally less than 10yds in and directly in line from the blind where i could see them. Whenever i raised binoculars to look at anything in my feedpen i could see em in my view. So for safety i moved the feeders farther in and not in line of that fence. Now they both are around 100 yds in and the distance in between is all woods. As far as a wounded deer entering the public land, i bow hunt on the opposite side of my lease so hadnt had one make it that far and during rifle season i use a single shot Thompson Center 300 Win Mag w 200gr bullets. I only take my 1 shot at optimum chance (standing still or slow walk and broadside) so in 12 years only 1 buck has ran more than 30 yds. I did have a buddy 3 yrs ago wound 1 that we looked for the entire next day and i called the Game Warden who joined us in the search. Thanks for the questions....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Comment

I tried some SPYPOINT cams and couldn’t get att or Verizon to work out there. Just wondering how many of you guys have working SPYPOINTs and which unit or service worked better for you? Thanks

Comment

This seems like a bunch of BS and I swear to go if my stuff comes up missing someone gonna have a Huge problem!

Comment

Had to Mark going to be able to comment on the post but I wont be there but will be Sunday finally got piggy's on camera in daylight hours!

Comment

How is everyone doing? Any quarantine hunting?

Comment

Been seeing piggies and deer. also seeing rangers with masks. sure is hot

Comment

saw some does

Comment

Man where all my die hearts at?!?!?? Yall fool like me saying fk this heat?!?!

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm ready lets do this...

How have things been looking out there?

Comment

Originally posted by scottimus View Post
                                How have things been looking out there?
                                Hell that's what I'm trying to figure out ill start my scouting next month pray things are still how I left them lol

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X