Question for Woodworkers...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Woodworkers...

We had a church pew in a storage unit we just got out and the moisture/heat/cold/humidity combined to split the wood in several places.

Any suggestions on how best to handle to fix or minimize the splitting? I think we can get ratchet straps around the affected areas. Do we do it now or let it acclimate to the house temp? Do we use a wood glue or other?
    Last edited by ShockValue; 01-27-2020, 01:40 PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Gorilla glue is the strongest I know of. Follow directions on the bottle, but it's strongest if you wet the areas of wood it will adhere to. You will definitely need to be carefull about getting it on areas you don't want it, and clamp it up for 36 hrs for best results.

Comment

Gorilla glue would be best, but even plain glue would work fine if you were to clamp it for a few days.

Comment

That should glue up nice! Use another strap/clamp up higher, as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Everyone needs at least 6 of these.....

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IRWIN-QUICK...E&gclsrc=aw.ds
            in each size! You can't have enough. Stock up when there are sales around the holidays, but they are worth every penny..

Comment

Thanks Dale and Bob! I've got a few of those clamps so we'll make it work.

It was pretty humid in that storage unit. Think it needs to sit a while first?

Comment

You can also use a syringe, without the needle on it, to get down in the cracks good.

Comment

I would use wood glue over gorilla glue. Easy to work with and can be sanded if needed. Even a bit of touch up stain if needed.

Gorilla glue i always use too much and foams too much and makes a mess. Wood glue you just wipe away.

Comment

Looks like a butt joint failed.
                    That should be easy to fix.
                    I like Titebond wood glue. Get the ultimate formula 8 to 10 minutes working time.

Comment

Titebond 3 Will do the trick and be easier to work with and less messy than gorilla glue

Comment

Originally posted by ShockValue View Post
                        Thanks Dale and Bob! I've got a few of those clamps so we'll make it work.

It was pretty humid in that storage unit. Think it needs to sit a while first?
                        Wouldn't hurt, but I can't think of any reason not to do it whenever you're ready. Looks like it's in the house now, I'm sure it's ready. They recommend 24hrs for wood/lam flooring...I would think something old would be fine sooner.

Comment

Great...thanks fellas.

My wife asked me if I was calling someone today to figure out what to do. I said "nope...gonna post it on TBH". She said "oh yeah...great idea".

Comment

Originally posted by texasair View Post
                            Titebond 3 Will do the trick and be easier to work with and less messy than gorilla glue
                            This and a bar clamp! Glue it, clamp it and wipe it!

Comment

Working...
                            X