No announcement yet.

What progressive press?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been using the Hornady LnL for several years. I load my pistol rounds and 223/300blk bulk ammo on it. I have a Lee Single Stage press as well that I load the rest of my rifle loads on.

Once I get the LnL setup and running I can load about 500 rounds of 9mm in an hour. I have a bullet feeding die (pistol) and some plastic tubes that I pre-load with projectiles. At that point I am only feeding empty cases into the press.

Comment

If you research progressive reloaders you will find none of them are perfect. Most polls will show Dillon 1st, then Hornady, then RCBS, then Lee. But they all have some issues.
      I only own Dillon's, but most agree they are top of the line, All of them will get it done. Some require fiddling with some to keep running.

My dislikes of the Dillon are primer handling. Both new primers, and spent primers. My 650's spent primer chute clogs occasionally, and it feeds a new primer whether there is a case ready or not. They have a tray that catches the new primers that don't get used, but I modified mine with tape to make it taller, it is annoying when new primers would end up on the floor.

And as I mentioned earlier, the Sq. Deal B shell plate is tiny, and you must insert an empty case, and a bullet each pull of the handle. The 650 has a bullet feeder, but the hopper is an accessory you have to buy. The press shouldn't be sold without the hopper. But its sweet to load on.
      Put a bullet on a case, crank the handle, put another bullet on the case etc, etc. Stop every 10 to 15 mins and add another 100 primers, and empty your loaded round hopper, and fill the case feeder. The volume powder measure works very well with most pistol powders, as long as they are spherical. Flake and stick powders don't measure well by volume.

Comment

Unless you are very mechanically inclined and like to tinker dang near every time you load, avoid the Lee, especially the small primer calibers. Constant issues with primers flipping or going in sideways. I also have a lot of no charge loads using the lee powder measure that comes with them, despite trying all the tips and tricks I've found online. I've got 2. I've pretty much gotten to where I don't use them anymore. I can run 100 9MM on my autoindexing turret press in less than 30 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
          Unless you are very mechanically inclined and like to tinker dang near every time you load, avoid the Lee, especially the small primer calibers. Constant issues with primers flipping or going in sideways. I also have a lot of no charge loads using the lee powder measure that comes with them, despite trying all the tips and tricks I've found online. I've got 2. I've pretty much gotten to where I don't use them anymore. I can run 100 9MM on my autoindexing turret press in less than 30 minutes.
          I have never owned a lee progressive. But I do have a classic cast turret that I got on the way to going full progressive. Shells with no powder from the powder drop system got old. Much faster than single stage, but I got tired of bullets stuck in the barrel, not to mention the possible dangers. Researched and procrastinated for several months before pulling the trigger. Never looked back, and if you decide to sell, the Dillon will have the best resale value.
          I still use the turret a lot, but only for the convenience of having both dies set up at all times. Also use it for load workups. You will always have a need for a single stage press, I can imagine the hassle of load workups on a progressive.

Comment

I have two 650's that I bought when I was shooting USPSA and IDPA. I think Dillon has a new 750 press out but the reviews are mixed. Their no BS warranty is just that. One of the few companies that really stand behind their products. There are several Facebook groups that discuss Dillon products and from time to time have used equipment for sale.

Comment

I have 2 Dillon 550's. One has been sent back once to be refurbished after untold thousands of rounds. I would still choose the 550 because of their customer support. The 650 is a good machine, especially if you are going to dedicate it to one caliber/load. I also have two older RCBS 4x4 machines that I use Dillon expander/charging dies and powder measures on. I prefer manual index machines.

Comment

If you go 750 or lnl ap and want that rate you will be buying a lot more things

Case feeder
                Primer tube filler
                Trimmer
                Bullet feeder maybe

How many rounds do you realistically shoot?

Comment

Oh Man....I thought this was the Current Issues thread. I was expecting to see Rachel Maddow and Don Lemon. Good luck with the loading stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                    I'll second your post on the Lee Pro 1000. I've got one and it seems I have to mess with something every time. The priming system is the biggest problem. I have an issue nearly every time with primers turning over or something and it doesn't matter whether they are small or large primers.

The powder measuring system isn't that precise either. I had to experiment
                    with several different diameters before I finally found one that would throw pretty close to my load recipe. I've ordered an adjustable powder measure
                    device for it, but have not had time to play with it.

That being said, once I get the kinks out (everytime) as long as I'm paying close attention, I can usually catch the problem before it occurs.

I'm going to get a Dillon at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by SabreKiller View Post
                      I'll second your post on the Lee Pro 1000. I've got one and it seems I have to mess with something every time. The priming system is the biggest problem. I have an issue nearly every time with primers turning over or something and it doesn't matter whether they are small or large primers.

The powder measuring system isn't that precise either. I had to experiment
                      with several different diameters before I finally found one that would throw pretty close to my load recipe. I've ordered an adjustable powder measure
                      device for it, but have not had time to play with it.

That being said, once I get the kinks out (everytime) as long as I'm paying close attention, I can usually catch the problem before it occurs.

I'm going to get a Dillon at some point.

I have a Square Deal for sale...

Comment

Tons of info here and I’ll be honest I haven’t even got to read half of it, seems like Dillon is the place to be.

Comment

Dillon 750 with case feeder and maybe even a mr bullet feeder.

Comment

If you decide to go with a model that offers a case feeder, pony up the extra cash. They’re not cheap, but it makes a world of difference and speeds up the process significantly. Then, all you have to worry about is placing a bullet on the case each time you pull the handle.

Comment

difference between 550 and 650
                              550: put case in, put bullet in, handle down and up, advance table. 4 steps per bullet

650/750 with case feeder: put bullet on, handle down and up. 2 steps and no chance to double charge
                              5 stations on the 650 seats and crimps at different stations, so die set up is easier

I know a couple guys with 550's, and they are great loaders but the reasons I went with the 650 are less steps and better powder safety.
                              The sq. deal b auto advances the table also, but doesn't have a powder check station, but the auto advance keeps double charges out. You could still get a no charge possibly, but I have not seen it. Even though the dies are carbide, I lube the .44 mag cases so it operates easier.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                                I have a Square Deal for sale...
                                Details?

Comment

Working...
                                X