Water Softner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water Softner

Looking for a water softner for my home. We are on a public water system but the water comes from a well. There seem to be widely varying prices and claims. I don’t mind spending the money if I get the value.

I don’t have a water softener in my current home, but the last two I had were bought from Home Depot.

One was a Water Boss brand. It lasted 9.5yrs till the resin tank ruptured (turned out it was a super high system pressure that did that, and not a fault with the softener), and they replaced the whole softener for free under warranty.

The second one I bought was a GE, and it worked great, and was working great when we sold the house.

I installed both(the house was already plumber for a softener). Both were around $500 new.

There is no way I would ever buy one of those 2-4K systems from the big softener companies!!!!

JMO!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

we have one , we have a well and HARD HARD water . it stoped the build up of what looks like concreate and stoped the staining and oder but the water still taste like crap. ozarka is my friend.

Comment

Originally posted by breadman View Post
        we have one , we have a well and HARD HARD water . it stoped the build up of what looks like concreate and stoped the staining and oder but the water still taste like crap. ozarka is my friend.
        Same experience here, we had a company out of Victoria install one, kept the water from staining the cars but still wasn’t drinkable.I would not buy again.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. We have dealt with the drinking water issues by installing a under sink RO unit. The fridge has a carbon filter that turns out clear ice and good drinking water. We are looking for the water softner to eliminate the calcium deposits on the plumbing fixtures, etc.

Comment

If you are serious, talk to someone who sells Kinetico systems. Before our house flooded we had one many years. We were on well water also. Could hardly get soap to lather prior to installing. If you take a shower and you feel squeaky clean that is not right, you should feel slippery. They are not cheap but worth it to me. Dishes were cleaner without spots, less cleaning on plumbing fixtures and ice was clear. We had softener and RO unit. Good luck, remember you usually get what you pay for.

Comment

I bought a fleck system online and installed it my self...20 years ago. Still works great.

Comment

They all do the same job... you decide if you want to pay a ton and have a company install one or do it yourself with a $500 GE from Lowe's and if you have taste issues a $100 RO system. If your house is plumbed for one it is super easy to install one.

Comment

Originally posted by txlawdog View Post
                  If you are serious, talk to someone who sells Kinetico systems. Before our house flooded we had one many years. We were on well water also. Could hardly get soap to lather prior to installing. If you take a shower and you feel squeaky clean that is not right, you should feel slippery. They are not cheap but worth it to me. Dishes were cleaner without spots, less cleaning on plumbing fixtures and ice was clear. We had softener and RO unit. Good luck, remember you usually get what you pay for.

As a service tech for them I can stand behind this they ar great units we are installing 8-12 new systems daily..for the amount of systems we have out in in the san Antonio area we have very few issues the ones we sell come with a 10 year parts warranty. And trip and labor for the first year most go years before having to be worked on.On the softer and the ro drinking system I have both in my house i have yet to have a issue.

Comment

We have a Pelican System on a well. No electricity or drain required. It works good for us.

Comment

Do the math first. If your water is as hard as ours, you will need a system with five or six times the capacity of most systems sold for home use. I made the mistake of buying one at Sam's Club. After testing our water and setting the regeneration cycles accordingly, I couldn't keep up with the salt usage. Considering that we are on a septic tank, I had to also consider what all that salt would be doing to our septic system and to the land around the drain field. Had we decided to continue using the softener, we would have been spreading about two and a half tons of salt into the land immediately adjacent to our home. There also was the very real possibility of the septic tank becoming super saturated and having salt crystal buildup and precipitation. I went through that problem at work in our evaporation ponds. The company paid a quarter of a million bucks to remove the salt and haul it to a hazardous disposal landfill. I didn't want that sort of problem at home so we bypassed the softener and went on with life. Twenty three years later and the sky hasn't fallen on us. There is some scale build up on the outside of fixtures but nothing inside the water pipes or the sewer pipes.

I have been considering the Pelican System as well. It is not salt based ion exchange so there is a chance that it may work for us. They have a pretty good webpage with lots of information. You may want to check them out.

Comment

Working...
                      X