Building Live Edge Table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building Live Edge Table

Looking for tips and tricks. I’ve never worked with a full slab before but toying with building a 6’x26” table out of a walnut slab I saw at Rockler. I have most of the tools, half the skills, and all the determination so I should be good right? Big investment to learn with though. Do I need to inset c channel in the bottom to combat cupping? Assume it can’t hurt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

following

Comment

utube------bob...……
      I will say this...…………
      Anytime your working with walnut, make sure you wear a least a paper
      mask.... Walnut dust sometimes, has some kinda nasty stuff in it...…….
      I got the worst sinus infection of my life, building a really cool
      looking wall in a friends game room...……..

Comment

Yes on the c channel.

I'm currently working on this desk out of pecan. Two slabs that were joined and have live edges on each side.

Make a router sled for flatting those big pieces.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Comment

I'll be watching this. I hope to do one of these some day and a router sled is on my soon to build list.

I was just at Rockler yesterday and drooled over the slabs. Have you ever been to Clark's hardwoods? Talk about some beautiful wood!!!

Comment

From my experience, making sure the slab is flat is very important, especially if you’re putting epoxy on it. I’m working on one and the slabs weren’t flat which resulted in a lot of wasted epoxy, which is some spendy stuff. But live edge wood can definitely make some beautiful furniture!

Comment

Thanks everyone. Never been to Clark’s Doug, but good chance we were drooling over the same slab at Rockler.

Comment

Slab, router sled with bonus points if u build it to raise/lower to the ceiling like a jeep top. Grinder with flap wheel for the edges. Epoxy and bowties for checks/cracks. Waterlox or Rubio monocoat for the finish. I'm not a fan of chunky thick epoxy finishes and it's overrated for protection purposes. Depending on the thickness of the slab and the moisture content I would say you'd be fine without c channel. 2" slab or better, leave it without!

Comment

Originally posted by TexasBob View Post
                  Thanks everyone. Never been to Clark’s Doug, but good chance we were drooling over the same slab at Rockler.

Probably!!! You need to go take a look at Clark's. They are proud of their stuff but they have an amazing supply of wood!

Comment

In. I dont have half the tools and a third of the know how

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Watching, I’ve got 3 pieces of hand milled 2-1/2” think Black Walnut laying in my bedroom floor that has live edge on two pieces and needs to be turned into a table.

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch1886 View Post
                        Watching, I’ve got 3 pieces of hand milled 2-1/2” think Black Walnut laying in my bedroom floor that has live edge on two pieces and needs to be turned into a table.
                        I'll take it off your hands, would want you to trip and get hurt on it :-)

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

I like Odie's oil for finishing.
                          A buddy of mine makes a fair bit of mesquite slab tables, and that's what he uses. Amazing durable finish

Comment

I have a 6' red oak log that is over 3' diameter

If you have a way to load it and will cut me a 2.5" slab out of it you can have the rest

Comment

Originally posted by Canoe1 View Post
                              I'll take it off your hands, would want you to trip and get hurt on it :-)

I’m ashamed that’s it been sitting there for a couple of years, my excuse is that is curing but honestly I’m intimidated by it. I can build dang near anything out of metal but wood scares me! I traded 9 Hereford, 2 longhorn and 2 watusi skulls for those pieces.

Comment

Working...
                              X