Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe not all the time..

Originally posted by ttechdallas View Post
    Hogs aren't predators. Nor are they aggressors by nature, not even feral hogs. They also don't have any natural predators at least in this area. What keeps them at bay is their natural fear of man and as that diminishes, they seem to becoming more indifferent.

Last season I killed at least 10 hogs while bowhunting and I saw hogs almost every night. There isn't much noise, except from the pig, when shooting with a bow. I think a few more gunshots might renew their fear of man. On the 1800 or so acres encompassing our entire lease, there probably aren't more than 15 gunshots in a whole year, maybe less. On my 300 acre section, there was only 1.

They may not be full time predators but they are omnivores. I had one come in to a predator call. He left the thicket and walked directly to my call and decoy. I hunt a lot and have been around hogs quite a bit and seen very odd behavior but this hog was looking for the call.

Comment

Originally posted by Skinny View Post
      Oh I would have put an arrow in a pig right then for sure.

Skinny
      I would have let an arrow fly to.

Comment

I was rifle hunting in Comanche a while back and had a bad run in with one. A whole herd of 20 or so pigs came running in with a big old boar amongst them. There was another pig that was on the edges but kept getting run off by the others but that didn’t seem unnatural at the time.

I shot the boar and a sow with my .243 bolt action and they dropped on the spot. 2 shots was about all I had before they were gone. So I walked up to see the boars tusks and he was a goner. Then I checked on the sow and same thing. As I turned my back on the sow to really get a good look at the big guy I heard a terrible grunt and a running pig.

I’m thinking Jesus pig behind me but no, it was the one they were running off at the beginning. He was about 40 yards when I dropped to a knee and pulled the trigger. Click. Misfire. All I have is one bullet left. I ejected and rammed the new one home in time to just barely pull the trigger on the beast at 10 yards or so. He rolled, got up, and ran the other way. I reloaded as fast as I could and shot him two more times before I couldn’t see him again. He dropped both times but got back up and kept running. I never found that **** thing either.

I was shaking so bad after the fact I had to sit my gun down in fear of rattling the scope off. Those pigs ain’t no joke.

Comment

Originally posted by Bh_liberty View Post
          That’s one of the reasons why I carry a pistol with me at the lease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Always. Regardless of if I'm hunting or not.

Comment

Exactly why I always carry a Glock and 26 rounds of 357SIG. I had a similar experience with a sounder and their leader. Never so glad to reach the car.

Comment

I like all the **** talk. Useless conjecture from someone who wasn't there. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm not an internet superman and have been humbled before. I'm waiting to read the post" I woulda body slammed the hog!" Or something to that effect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Comment

I would have body slammed the hog, and then finished him off with the peoples elbow.

Comment

Originally posted by yotaman View Post
                  I like all the **** talk. Useless conjecture from someone who wasn't there. Thanks for sharing your story. I'm not an internet superman and have been humbled before. I'm waiting to read the post" I woulda body slammed the hog!" Or something to that effect.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk

Thanks. I can respect those who would have done it differently but I think some of them are missing a major point. It was full cloud cover darkness and aiming would have been a guess.

In similar conditions, I couldn't even find a black archery box target in my peep at any yardage. I had to go get inside 10 yards before I could make out the form of my Glendel buck - and that was just barely.

Those who would have taken a shot in that exact same situation would have to believe the hog was going to run off whether hit or not because I don't think there is a drop 'em in their tracks archery shot - at least not one you can make without being able to clearly see your target.

Comment

Aggressive Hog Encounter

Nock an arrow and shoot him.

They hate being shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by Dale Moser; 01-15-2020, 11:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                      They always know when a sow is in heat...

[emoji1787]

Comment

"Help!"

Comment

I’ve seen that once, it was a boar with a hot sow and he didn’t want anything coming around him and they weren’t scared. That’s the only time I’ve seen a hog that wouldn’t run away every time I would shine him with my headlamp he would growl at me.

Comment

Originally posted by HoustonHunter View Post
                            They always know when a sow is in heat...
                            lol

Grow a pair!

Comment

I had one growl at me while trying to get to a ladder stand in the dark

He would hook his tusk around the feeder leg. Flip his head up and lift the feeder leg up and make it come crashing down to get a dribble of corn.

Making a heck of a lot noise

I backed off to a secondary blind

Waited till first light

Whacked him with a .300 win mag

We had to bring in the ranchers bobcat to move the carcass

Smelly boar

He was destroying my feeder

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang D-Mo... You dun dug up a old thread and started the super-heroes to postin' all over again!!

Comment

Working...
                                X