Dolan falls Devils River

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolan falls Devils River

Is this place open to the public? Is it inside a park? Definitely on my bucket list. Can you drive up to it? Thanks

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

1 mile hike the best I can remember

Comment

Not sure if they’re in the park, but closest you get in a vehicle (from my research) at the park is about a mile from the river, the rest is hiking.

Comment

I kayaked the Devil's in 2012 and got up to it. Had to get out drag the yak around it, but it was a cool area.

Comment

you can drive closer to it from private....

some big ole catfish in the hole below

Comment

Dolan Falls is technically within the Dolan Falls Nature Preserve, which is owned by The Nature Conservancy and the land on both sides of the falls is not open to the public. Since it is a navigable river, you are allowed access on the waterway and can use the land to portage around the falls but you cannot hang out on the land. I've heard about people who have gotten trespassing tickets from hanging around Dolan Falls for too long (park ranger said they have a couple cameras hidden and will report you to game warden who will get you further down river). When we've kayaked the river, we take our time portaging and everyone jumps off the big rock then we move our way down river. Never had any issues but we also don't hang around for too long.

The Del Norte Unit SNA is the closest / easiest way to access the falls. As stated above, if you are not using a kayak shuttle service, the closest you can park to the river is about 1 mile away. Only approved shuttle services can drive all the way down to the river. Once you're at the river, Dolan Falls is about 1/2 - 1 mile down river from the SNA river access point.

Dolan Falls and the rest of the Devil's River is a beautiful place. We've kayaked the river twice and can't wait to get back again.

Comment

I dont think you can navigate (legally) to Dolan Falls by land. I kayaked the Devils River this June and the land owners are very strict about trespassing. Many landowners have wifi enabled security cameras at spots where they know people are likely to trespass and will either call the game warden or sheriff on you to kick you off their property and write a ticket.

If you're able to, I would definitely recommend venturing down the entirety of that section of the Devils river from Bakers crossing to Devils back take out point. You wouldn't be doing yourself or the river any justice by just trying to see that one spot, the whole area along the river is incredible.

Great hunting down there too if you're the type to spend the big bucks on aoudad, sheep and exotic hunts!

Comment

Working...
              X