What is in my corn in one of my feeders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is in my corn in one of my feeders

I had an issue with a feeder jamming. Corn was sticky and black. When dumping it I found a bunch of 1 inch long almost maggot type of bugs except they had an external grayish hard skeleton/shell. They have no legs. What the he- double hockey sticks are these things? This is in 1 feeder only. All other feeders are not affected. Sorry no pics at this time.

Must have gotten wet or put in moist from the bag

Comment

Is the lid air tight. That will cause moisture accumulation in your corn.

Comment

Meal worms

Comment

We found some bugs like that in some feed once, talked to the guy at the feed store. It seems some mills will put the bugs in there or they can occur naturally, the bugs feed on weevils, the more weevils they ear the bigger they get. The ones we found weren't anywhere close to an inch long though, so it's very possible I could be full of it and you've got something else going on!

Comment

This maybe??

Start shopping for black soldier fly pupae. We are dedicated to the best quality here at Symton Black Soldier Fly.

Comment

it got wet.

Comment

Pupae of some critter. The insects are transforming from juvenile to adult. Was the corn eaten? Regardless...the critters are likely there to eat the corn at some life stage. Some of the black stuff mightve been fungus from either the wet corn or fungus growing on the feces from the juveniles eating and pooping in the corn.

Comment

Black soldier flies, I raise them for my chickens

Comment

Humidity and little air getting into feeder will cause this.

Comment

Yup, wet. Feed store probably let it get rained on.

I would dump it all on the ground and start over. Seems like when a little gets wet it eventually sours the rest in the feeder. At least this is my experience.

J

Comment

Sounds like black fly larvae .

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                          This is it. Thanks guys.

Comment

probably from Bucee's ...

Comment

Working...
                            X