No announcement yet.

Incredibly frustrated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It'll come....instant gratification and it coming easy makes it less appreciated.

Time to go look for a place to kill pigs.

Comment

We are spoiled hunting in Texas. Growing up and hunting Mississippi and Louisiana we would sometime go full seasons without a shot opportunity.

Enjoy the time with your son. None of us are guaranteed tomorrow. I lost my Dad when I was 23. What I wouldn’t do just to be able to sit in the blind with him, game seen be ****ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by hully1029 View Post
        I know, I know... that's why it's called "hunting, not killing." My boy, 10, and I have hunted together several times. He wants nothing more than to have just an opportunity at shooting.. we are on our 3rd sit at a buddies house this weekend and here we are, again, about to have to leave and I'm having to talk to him about how we cant predict movement, weather, etc.. it's the same story, over and over and over and over..

Hell, just yesterday he said "maybe I'm just bad luck." Do you have any idea how ****ing heartbreaking that is to hear?

I understand he needs to be taught patience and understanding, but dang.. hes been patient enough.

Sorry for the rant.. I just had to get that out..

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Perhaps if you would go sit in a stand you might get more opportunities.

Is this the only year, or did you go blank last year also? As otheres have said, and you know this, it takes patience. His time will come, and you know that also. When it does, it will mean all the more to him...and you. Just stay at it...and get out of your buddy's house and into the woods!

Comment

Guess I’m bad luck also, lol, I haven’t killed in 4 years.

Comment

It’s tough for sure. I’ve hunted the same area since I was old enough to tag along with my dad. When I was young, if you saw a buck you better shoot it, there just weren’t many opportunities. Now, hunting the same general location, we see deer almost every sit. I guess we just have more deer now some 25-30 years later. I tell my son all the time how lucky he is to see lots of deer, and how different it is now from when I was young.

Comment

I can tell you my two kids had quick success and neither are passionate hunters now. I think it was too easy.
              I grew up never having much luck on marginal leases. But dad kept hauling me and it made me appreciate our successes more
              I would suggest more squirrels, doves and pigs.

Good luck

BP

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                He will be fine. I grew up in east Texas do I need to say more. Go shoot a squirrel get that monkey off his back

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                ^^^This^^^

Make it fun in camp, let him shoot guns or arrows at paper targets, small game, pigs, birds, etc. Like Snowflake I did the same in East Tx....seeing a deer was uncommon on majority of hunts so it was much more impactful when you actually did. I have to agree that kids or newbies in general having easy, quick success will most likely not appreciate the sport.

Make him earn it....he will be better for it in the end trust me.

Comment

It is frustrating, been there as well. Good luck, it will happen. Hopefully soon.

Comment

I bow hunted 4 years before I shot the first arrow.. and it was a clean miss. Finally got another opportunity 3 years later and it was a kill. Like someone mentioned, maybe go do some squirrel hunting for a change while you put together a honey hole for him. When I was young I diddint have an option. Dad pretty much made me go with him.

Comment

It'll come together! My daughter and I hunted my dad's place in Centerville 3 youth seasons straight with a few other weekends mixed and we never shot notta. Saw some activity but just couldn't make it happen.

That 4th year, on Sunday morning before we went home she wanted to sleep in, I told her let's keep grinding and what a memorable morning it was as she connected on a beautiful 8 point.

Hang in there and continued luck for the little man!

Comment

Hang in there. As others have said the wait makes the end result that much sweeter. I know it’s tough on the little man, but keep at it. And by the way..... great job dad getting him in the outdoors. Kudos to you sir.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

As someone with a 14yr old who has killed his fair share, he’s also been skunked on a ton of public and private hunts. I think it makes them a better hunter, and appreciative of what the do get later on.

Comment

It works out better for some. I dunno. I’m your kid at age 38

Comment

Maybe try hunting past 8:12 am?

Comment

I started sitting in my own stand at about 10 we hunted shot out public land in La typically it was buck only.I didn’t kills deer until I was 15 a nice 8 pt.That was one of the best feelings in the world. My dad drove me around showing it off to family.I hope y’all don’t have to wait that long.Wow those were some long sits for a kid but it finally paid off and I love to hunt.I have a 12 year old step son with light autism we get about a hour and a half sit then he just can’t stand it.I got him on a couple doe last year he missed because he was shaking so much from buck fever.It was really cool to hear his heart beating so fast and see him so excited.Hopefully I can get him on a deer and seal the deal this youth season.Yall hang in there hats off to you sharing the outdoors with your kid it’s a gift from God.

Comment

Working...
                                X