Axis deer population in Hill Country

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis deer population in Hill Country

What would be your guess on how many free ranging axis are present in the hill country?

The research that is online is pretty much outdated and states there is around 6,000 free ranging axis in the hill country.

Texas Tech at Junction released a study last year. In this study they found the axis population around the Junction South Llano river area rivals the whitetail population.

What’s your guess on the population of free ranging axis in the hill country?

Best,

Would be interesting to know and I'll be tagging along for answers.

The Llano river makes since because they stock pile around water. Get away from large water sources and it starts going down (this is the same with our lease). So that variance will make it tough.

I'd toss a completely uneducated guess out of 30,000-50,000.

Comment

bunch...umm uh

Comment

Originally posted by 150class View Post
        Would be interesting to know and I'll be tagging along for answers.

The Llano river makes since because they stock pile around water. Get away from large water sources and it starts going down (this is the same with our lease). So that variance will make it tough.

I'd toss a completely uneducated guess out of 30,000-50,000.
        Ain't much water near me at all and I see more axis than whitetail here at the house. 25-30 in one herd and then several smaller herds of around 10. See 'em morning and evening every day.

I think the upper end of your guess is pretty close.

Comment

They would have a lot more if they didn't trap so many and sell them to high fence game ranches

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
            They would have a lot more if they didn't trap so many and sell them to high fence game ranches
            Is this true?

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
              Is this true?

Plenty of trapping and darting happening on free range exotics every day

How much of a effect it has on the total population is debatable I would imagine
              Last edited by 150class; 05-12-2020, 03:37 PM.

Comment

Yes and they sell them across state lines too

Comment

Originally posted by 3DW5 View Post
                  Is this true?
                  Yessir

Comment

From my experience there is more axis than whitetail in the area south east of Sonora. About a 50/50 split at home in Spring Branch.

Comment

I have no idea how many there are but I know in some places I have seen there were way more a it than WT. I love shooting /eating axis but it’s sad how many there are and how they have out numbered WT in many places.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Since the axis deer is not a game animal, is trapping and moving legal from private to private ? Never thought about it but I’m assuming it would be.

Comment

In the areas between Junction and Sonora that I've hunted the last few years, whitetail are numerous. Axis easily outnumber them. And there is a lot of trapping going on, not to mention year round hunting of axis.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                            From my experience there is more axis than whitetail in the area south east of Sonora. About a 50/50 split at home in Spring Branch.
                            My sister lives off 1863 and I've seen them once, tons of whitetail though. They are on the Eastside of 281 though.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                              Since the axis deer is not a game animal, is trapping and moving legal from private to private ? Never thought about it but I’m assuming it would be.
                              You are correct. Exotics can go where ever just about

Comment

Working...
                              X