X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keep on keepin on. You won’t regret it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Teach him that is not about the killing.. When I was growing up we were on "Leases",that we paid for, that had few to no deer.. If you saw a deer or 3 all season you were lucky and if you killed one you were celebrity status in camp. Believe it or not we all still loved going just to be out in nature, build campfires, cook, ride in and drive the "lease truck", fish in the stock tanks, shoot dove, rabbits and squirrels.... A deer in those days was a huge bonus but it was great quality time with my dad, brother and friends.. I would trade my GREAT lease that I have today to go back to those days, back in the 70's and 80's, in a heart beat if I could... Man we had some fun....

Comment

We live in a world of instant gratification and "I want it now" mentality. This may be one of your few chances to teach the rewards of being patient and not rushing.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
          Maybe this will help, i hope so~

I'm 63, i've been hunting with a bow since i was a kid. I killed many a possum and coon, tons of bullfrogs, bunches of cans, on and on. I got into archery deer hunting when i was about 30. I've drawn a bow on a deer 4 times. I've had opportunities. Sometimes i didn't shoot because the shot wasn't right, sometimes it was too late, sometimes this, sometimes that. But, i've let arrows fly at four, count 'em four, deer in my life. I hit one doe that i never found. I shot at one buck and nothing but fur on a fletching. Last season i drew on a cull buck but was shaking so bad i couldn't shoot. I told myself it was because i was freezing, which i was.

But, i wasn't sure. Had i lost my nerve? Did i get "the fever"?

Well, yesterday morning it finally happened. I connected on an old, HEAVY, 8 pt. My FIRST archery deer kill. Yes, i am thrilled beyond belief. The antlers are nothing to write home about. The accomplishment is. Tell your son that perseverance pays, and to stay after it.

BTW - I really hope he doesn't have as long a wait as i did. That part does blow. But we all have different journeys.
          Very cool.. Congrats..

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
            We live in a world of instant gratification and "I want it now" mentality. This may be one of your few chances to teach the rewards of being patient and not rushing.
            You just nailed it.

Comment

I learned to hunt by myself, I didn't have any family interested in it. I started when I was 12, always by myself. Those early years all I wanted was just to kill something. I would get mad if I didn't see anything to kill. I went a stretch of 4 seasons without killing a deer from the time I was 13 till I was 17. Let me tell you that was the absolute best thing that could have happened to me. All that time without being able to kill a deer made me learn to enjoy hunting, and sitting, and watching, and learning more than killing. I enjoy everything so much more now than I would otherwise because of it. Wanting to kill a deer is fine, but its so much nicer to learn to enjoy every other aspect of hunting more.

Comment

I went 5 years before seeing a deer with my dad. Another 2 before he killed one.
                Enjoyed every minute of it. Keep positive. He’ll appreciate the time before he’s too cool to sit with you and off to his own adventures.

Comment

Can you share where you are hunting? Perhaps the experts of TBH can look at satellite imagery and help you pin point a better location?

You can also take him squirrel hunting - just to move around a little. It is tough to sit in a blind all day.

Many of us have been in his shoes, wondering if there was anything within 5 miles of us. Take binos and see how many birds you can spot and ID.

And as others have said, you can go from zero to hunting hero in seconds. Teach him patience with your example.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                    If it makes your kid feel better, It's been ~65 hunts since my last bow kill on anything bigger than a squirrel.
                    ya..but talk about aim small miss small!!... i get a feeling of... daaaang i hit that itty bitty target.

Comment

I went through the same thing with my 2 sons, but it got better. I went through the same thing with my 2 grandsons, but it got better. I now have a great grand child and I bet we will do the same thing. I wouldn't change anything, I love it.

Comment

We got on a lease when I was in the 3rd grade and had it till I was 26. My dad hauled me out there all time. I was a Jr. in Highschool before I killed my first deer it was a little 3 point, and you would have thought I had just shot the biggest deer in the world. The gratification I got from that deer made up for the all the years of not seeing a deer while hunting, missing a shot, or spooking a deer. It also made me a better hunter, and taught me about patience and persistence. With kids of my own now, I cant imagine how hard it was for my Dad to watch me struggle early on, I also cant imagine how much joy it brought it when I finally succeeded. I hope and pray y'all get some action to help your little guy out. Keep encouraging him and try to make it as fun as possible.

Comment

I think starting them out in a target rich environment is how to get them hooked. Patience is great for them to learn but I think some get burnt out not having opportunities after numerous trips.

Comment

Working...
                          X