Tree saddle hunting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
    So how do you get up in the the tree? From what I see, it looks like you have to get a rope up in the tree above you. Then pull yourself up? Or are you using, something like lineman's climbers, that strap on your boots? The pictures and the video. I don't see anyone wearing those, so I would assume they are pulling themselves up with a rope. You are going to have to get that rope tied off up in the tree to pull yourself up.

It looks like something that would work great for me, more so, if I could just walk up to a tree, say this looks like a good tree and be up in that tree and ready to hunt, inside of 10 minutes. I guess you could use different ways to get up in different trees, but just curious what is the normal procedure?
    I use screw in steps. Lots of people use portable hang on ladders. Some use lineman spurs..... basically the same way you get up to a hang on stand.
    I use two lineman ropes to get the tree set up then tie a lifeline at the top and use a prusik knot to climb the tree after the steps are in. It's basically all the same as setting up a hang on but your sitting/leaning in a saddle. 10x more comfortable and versatile.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      So how do you get up in the the tree? From what I see, it looks like you have to get a rope up in the tree above you. Then pull yourself up? Or are you using, something like lineman's climbers, that strap on your boots? The pictures and the video. I don't see anyone wearing those, so I would assume they are pulling themselves up with a rope. You are going to have to get that rope tied off up in the tree to pull yourself up.

It looks like something that would work great for me, more so, if I could just walk up to a tree, say this looks like a good tree and be up in that tree and ready to hunt, inside of 10 minutes. I guess you could use different ways to get up in different trees, but just curious what is the normal procedure?
      Climbing sticks, Rapid Rails, Wild Edge steps, screw in steps, pre set ladder sections, spurs, some guys use single rope and double rope climbing technique and rappel down.

I am using some aluminum Rapid Rails at this time because I have several sets. They are lightweight and easy to set. I have a set of lightweight climbing sticks ordered. If you are using conventional climbing methods (sticks, ladder sections, etc) you always need to use a lineman's climbing belt until you get your tether attached to the tree, attached to your bridge on your saddle and on your platform. I can be up in most trees in 10 minutes or less.

Some guys are "one sticking". One sticking is not for everyone but a lot of saddle guys are using this method.

Here is a video on using one stick to get to your desired platform height.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Arrowsmith; 09-18-2020, 09:04 AM.

Comment

Good info thanks. I want something small I could put everything in a back pack and take everything in on one trip. That saddle deal could work. I just need to pick the right, compact climbing method. Whatever I use, gas to fit in my backpack.

Comment

I also just picked up the TETHRD system and Hawk Helium 20' sticks this summer and this will be my first time hunting out of this. From everything I read above and seen on utube with The Hunting Public crew and Tethrd crew themselves Saddle seems the way to go. I also hunt only Public lands and find it cumbersome to carry in my Summit. Headed to Wisconsin in a week to do some Grouse, Trout and I picked up some deer tags also while i'm there. ( pretty dam cheap for first time hunters) Gonna give it a try and hopefully I'm successful.
          But I dont think your gonna be disappointing going the Saddle way.

Comment

I am 48 and am switching to saddle hunting this year. I hunt public 95% of the time and just the weight savings(12lbs at least) of what I carry in is worth giving it a good hard try. Yes I still have my other methods(climber/lock-on) but don't plan on using any of it.

My practice so far has been fun and also eye opening on how wide open the tree choices will be.

I have a mixed menagerie of gear..... CRUZR XC, Tethrd Predator & tether, Muddy linemans rope, Hawk sticks w/amsteel rope mods & aiders.

Comment

Gotta get one!

Comment

What’s a good platform that’s not over $100+.?

I got the saddle kit, just missing a platform.
                I was curious what y’all use as a platform.

Comment

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post

I use the predator platform.
                  The first two years I saddle hunted I just used screw in steps as my platform. Not the most comfortable thing in the world but it works in a pinch.

Comment

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post

There's not one. I took a seat from a LW stand and made one. Works really well. I also have a OOAL Ridge Runner. Got it on sale for $125 I think. He runs flash sales from time to time.

Comment

Okay thanks.

Comment

i am interested in yalls preferred climbing method also.

Comment

Originally posted by kparker158 View Post
                          i am interested in yalls preferred climbing method also.
                          Screw in steps for me but I'm on private land.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                            Also, as long as you're tether is connected you really cannot fall. I have seen some videos where guys have tried every way possible to fall (the one in the link below). You can basically flip completely upside down and not fall.

This video is pretty dang funny but it will answer your questions on tree saddle safety. Please watch you will enjoy.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                            This is the best video I have seen in a while. lol

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                              Screw in steps for me but I'm on private land.
                              Just bought a set of Wild Edge steps for this season. Easy to use and lightweight.

Mobile hunting outfitters. The SteppLadder store offers the SteppLadder climbing system and all climbing accessories. Mobile hunting tree climbing system

Comment

I’ve been hunting out of saddles for 7 years, and the two guys I hunt with have been in them for 10+ each.

I won’t use anything else. I have a lone wolf assault that has been hanging in the close collecting dust for 6 years. I started with a few different DIY saddles and ended up upgrading to tethrd when they started up. I am running the Tethrd Phantom, Predator platform, and modified hawk helium sticks this season. I plan on picking up a set of 4 Tethrd One climbing sticks after season is over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X