No announcement yet.

South Fork, Colorado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very beautiful drive from South Fork to Creed. Be careful of Wildlife.

In the evening a lot of mule deer come into town. Drive around slowly you’ll see them.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      Rainbow Grocery has a great fly shop, and every thing else you'll need. The road to Creede has quite a bit of access, as I recall, but it's been 10 years since I've been.
      He’s downplaying the “everything else you’ll need.” Rainbow grocery will put Walmart to shame.

There is a place in Creede that’s downtown, a small little restaurant that has pool tables, washers and corn hole. It’s a good place to grab lunch and there are a lot of locals that hang out there, so you could get some good info ofF them.

We go skiing at Wolf creek every few years. South fork is a cool little town.

Comment

I highly recommend off-roading the Alpine Loop, have done it so many times. Start very early from South Fork headed towards Lake City Co and Cinnamon Pass, make it to Silverton for lunch, great pizza and have a look around town. Back up the mountain and over Engineer Pass in time for dinner in Lake City. Would recommend getting some ice cream from San Juan Soda Co there in Lake City on your way back to South Fork!

Comment

... there is a guy on here who was there 3 weeks ago

He may chime in... But he said it was TOUGH as well

Comment

My original trip got postponed, but I am heading up on the 23-27th to fish my way from South Fork up to Lake City. Hope its still good by the time I can get there. Went in late September a couple years ago and the fishing was lights out....

Comment

Check you PM

Comment

Thanks everyone. Lots of good info and I appreciate it. Glad to see so many TBHers with return trips there.

We are going to ride Alpine loop for sure and hike and fish next week. I’ll keep everyone informed of how we do.

Comment

Was up there a while back. Park creek fished ok but was low. The Rio was low and the fishing was slow. Could hardly find a nymph bite. Stimulators, hoppers, hippie stompers and chubbies all worked. Tucker ponds by park creek is stocked and usually decent. Headwaters is a great day trip up past Creede and in town has a lot of places to eat and drink.
                  South fork I like Ramones for dinner and the malt shoppe for a quick lunch if it's open.
                  They just got a few inches of snow this week. Hopefully will help with the fire danger.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Theres a road up to a reservoir and then stony pass, which is the headwaters of the rio grande, about halfway between creede and lake city. Good day trip.

Comment

I’ve gotten more than enough good information. Thank you everyone!

Comment

Fishing was pretty good!

Squirmy worms and dry flies were the ticket.

Comment

Looks like yall had a great trip. Headed out dark and early in the morning for a few days of fishing between SF and Lake City....

Comment

I know of a place on the golf course that’s for sale in South Fork. PM for details

Comment

We caught and released about 35 fish and kept 5 caught out of Beaver Creek reservoir. That was total for the 4 of us. Most rivers were still low and Rio Grande fished well but the signs say to not fish after noon due to the water temps and low water. I got quite a few PMs and good info on this thread and thank y’all for the help.

The UTV trails were awesome and I’m glad I trailered up the Can-am!

Comment

I love fishing SW Colorado, but I enjoy trail riding and just getting away finding new places just as much. Both are about as relaxing as they get to me! Awesome trip sir!

Comment

Working...
                                X