Any metal detector guys out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any metal detector guys out there?

A buddy of mine went and hunted for arrowheads in the field next to my mom's house today and found 3 whole ones,4 broken ones and an Indian head penny dated 1806 out there. This Summer I figured I'd go walk around with a metal detector and see what I can find. Her house is over 100 years old so I know there's gotta be some good stuff buried in the sand around there.

I dug my old metal detector out of storage but it looks like it bit the dust. Is there any metal detectors you'd suggest looking at?

I have access to some good detectors, but that’s way to far to drive for that.

If you don’t mind spending a little money, check with the nearest surveying supply company and rent a Schonstedt. They’re not at all cheap to buy but they could be affordable to rent for a couple of days if you think you can get onto some old metallic items.

Comment

I'll have to look around and see if anyone has one I could rent. I really don't know for sure if there's anything good out there but there's been a ton of people out there through the years. Surely some of those farmers back in the day lost some change out of their pocket at some point or another. It's really hard telling what I could find honestly.

Might just find junk but there's a possibility there's some good stuff hidden.

Comment

I have a Whites Spectrum but if I had to get another one I’d go with a Garrets.
        Last edited by Geezy Rider; 03-20-2023, 09:19 PM.

Comment

I bought a Whites many years ago specifically to scam a half mile long rock wall on my lease and the old homestead. Figured someone had to lose something building that wall. Never found anything but had a lot of fun. Don’t really have a suggestion on make and model but I’m sure you will have fun

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
            I have a Whites Spectrum but if I had to get another one I’d go with a Garrets.

Yup
            Take a look at the Garrett AT Pro

Also,
            Nokta Simplex+ is a pretty impressive entry level machine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have 5 detectors, 2 Bounty Hunters is what my wife and I started with and they worked fine and then I got into it. I have an older Whites DFX, new AT Pro and my favorite and the one I use most of the time is my DEUS.

The DEUS detectors are pricey but if you do a lot of detecting they are easy on your arms as they weigh about 1 1/2 pounds and are wireless but they cost near $1500.00. I bought the AT Pro to detect in the water.

Again if you are just going to detect once in awhile the $250.00 Bounty Hunters are decent machines to run.

Comment

All he found was the penny with the detector?

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                  A buddy of mine went and hunted for arrowheads in the field next to my mom's house today and found 3 whole ones,4 broken ones and an Indian head penny dated 1806 out there. This Summer I figured I'd go walk around with a metal detector and see what I can find. Her house is over 100 years old so I know there's gotta be some good stuff buried in the sand around there.

I dug my old metal detector out of storage but it looks like it bit the dust. Is there any metal detectors you'd suggest looking at?
                  Just a suggestion on where to detect. If there is a barn, detect the ramp entrance. Farmers generally work on their equipment there. Under the clothes line and at the entrance to where the outhouse was. Also around larger older trees where folks tend to take a break.

Comment

Would like to barrow one or buy a cheap one from somebody, lost my wedding ring last year in a gut pile in Kansas. I'm guessing it's gone but would like to check this year.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                      All he found was the penny with the detector?
                      No he was just looking on the ground. He's an arrowhead guy. I really don't care to find those I'm after more valuable stuff.

He wasn't by the house he was out in a big field that's nothing but sand and hard pan right now. I'm guessing a farmer dropped that penny. The only thing that's been on that field over the past 100 years is farm equipment and critters.
                      Last edited by okrattler; 03-21-2023, 06:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
                        Just a suggestion on where to detect. If there is a barn, detect the ramp entrance. Farmers generally work on their equipment there. Under the clothes line and at the entrance to where the outhouse was. Also around larger older trees where folks tend to take a break.
                        That's a good suggestion. There is an old barn, old grainery and an old chicken coop. Well, everything out there is old pretty much.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions y'all. The one I have is a Bounty Hunter but I got it back in the early 2000's. There's way better stuff out there now. Definitely better than what I got. It won't even turn on.

Comment

I want to get one. There were several billion dollars (today's dollars and gold price) of gold mined within 20 miles of our house. In 1863-64 there was widespread killing and theft of gold from travelers on the stagecoach roads that run 1/4 mile east and 1/2 mile west of our property. The Montana Vigilantes caught, did so-called Miner's Courts and hung 23 bad guys- 2 about a mile from our place. It happened so fast, capture to stringing them up, they had no time to do anything with the stolen gold. The fable is it's buried in a big cache somewhere around here. I'm sure the leather bags the nuggets were in has long decomposed, but the gold has to be somewhere.

There's also tailings piles in the creeks the miners worked, now on BLM land. Since they were looking for small nuggets and flakes, the larger rocks were separated first. Any large nuggets would wind up in the tailings piles buried under the rocks.

Maybe.........?

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                              I want to get one. There were several billion dollars (today's dollars and gold price) of gold mined within 20 miles of our house. In 1863-64 there was widespread killing and theft of gold from travelers on the stagecoach roads that run 1/4 mile east and 1/2 mile west of our property. The Montana Vigilantes caught, did so-called Miner's Courts and hung 23 bad guys- 2 about a mile from our place. It happened so fast, capture to stringing them up, they had no time to do anything with the stolen gold. The fable is it's buried in a big cache somewhere around here. I'm sure the leather bags the nuggets were in has long decomposed, but the gold has to be somewhere.

There's also tailings piles in the creeks the miners worked, now on BLM land. Since they were looking for small nuggets and flakes, the larger rocks were separated first. Any large nuggets would wind up in the tailings piles buried under the rocks.

Maybe.........?
                              It's a good possibility. The worst that can happen is you get some good exercise and enjoy being outside. The best thing that can happen is..... well.......being richer than anyone on this website. It's a win, win situation.

Comment

Working...
                              X