Custom Home Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by adam_p View Post
    It can be done it just takes a lot longer than if you had a contractor.
    If paying cash money that could be ok. If financing…. The savings are eat up quickly

Comment

If you think you need or want it, do it. its a whole lot cheaper up front than having to go back 5 years later and trying to add it.

Comment

Originally posted by cbd10pt View Post
        Metal, foam, polyurethra roof system 4200sq ft utility bills are $260 per month gas and electric
        That's a sweet looking place!

Comment

We poured foundation in mid-October. A neighbor poured same week. We have a contractor who also has a crew That does a lot of the work. I’d say about 60-70% is subbed out. We are on flooring this week. Our neighbor was acting as his own contractor. Finally gave up last month on acting as his own contractor when he still didn’t have a stick in the air! Hired one and they just finished framing last week.

Comment

Sheath the attic area for storage. Even if you don't think you will store stuff up there.

Comment

Thanks for all the input! I didn't realize getting subs would potentially be an issue. My father-in-law will be helping me through the process and he has built a number of homes!

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                Sent pm

Big pig
                Replied! Appreciate your time to message me.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  If paying cash money that could be ok. If financing…. The savings are eat up quickly
                  Very quickly with current rates.

I've got one on the books that I've been dealing with since last June. The guy wanted to be in it by hunting season. They started sheetrock last week.

Comment

For sure one of these. Unless you have a long list of reliable subs it is gonna take forever as you acting as GC.

Also add a 50 amp breaker and disconnect for future generator. I like the idea of hot water to garage area too!

Comment

A safe/storm room is very economical to build while under construction.
                      Also as others stated, a whole hole generator set up. If out of budget, at least have it prepped for future install. In mean time, also install 50amp on exterior for portable generator.

Also I will never install a spigot on the side of the house. Plumb it out into the yard away from house. Think of like at golf course. Never have an issue with failure in a wall. Also like the idea of spigots having its own shut off for extra insurance.

I also would not have any bath, kitchen (water lines) on exterior walls. This will save you a ton of potential headaches in freezing weather.

Don’t skimp on windows, we have builder grade and we everything outside.

Comment

Frost free hose bibs. Common up north but plumbers in Texas give you a funny look when you ask for them.

Comment

Outdoor shower

Receptacles controlled by switch for fans and xmas lights

Gutters

Stub out utility's for outdoor kitchen

4 gallon waterheater under kitchen sink

Contractor's are hard to find but still manageable to contract out yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by JerrodGeren
                            Good luck! It's rare that someone is building a new house with these prices.
                            I would say that building in our area has slowed some but there are new houses still consistently going up! We are in the Lake Livingston area- southeast TX

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAmerica View Post
                              For sure one of these. Unless you have a long list of reliable subs it is gonna take forever as you acting as GC.

Also add a 50 amp breaker and disconnect for future generator. I like the idea of hot water to garage area too!
                              is that what they call a manifold ?

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
                                All exterior water spickets not fed by the water softner and put on a single shutoff so your not messing with them in the winter. Garage freezers on their own circuit. A few blank circuits for things you might need in the future. Bout all I got right now
                                We did this.

We built a safe room.

Double washer and dryer hookups. We have four kids. Loads of laundry daily.

We built four garage bays and a big carport connecting them. It's the cheapest sq footage.

We love our tankless water heater.

We did a 22KW generator.

Comment

Working...
                                X