No announcement yet.

Official 2022-2023 LAKE WHITNEY & AQUILLA Hunting & Fishing thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good report sir . It's easy to get spoiled on feeding frenzies. Just makes an average day seem not so average afterwards.

Comment

Thanks for the report. I wonder if dead sticking is still the best tactic even though it is warming up. Caught my biggest striper dead sticking.

Comment

Originally posted by jnd1959 View Post
        Thanks for the report. I wonder if dead sticking is still the best tactic even though it is warming up. Caught my biggest striper dead sticking.
        I've stopped dead sticking because I had a couple of outings 2-3 weeks back where I had no luck at all with it. I had one outing back in Feb where the wife and I caught 7 or 8 dead sticking in about 30 min, and missed at least that many more. That was before I got a new trolling motor with I-Pilot, so it was a struggle to stay over the fish. Water temp was 46-47 that day.

Shortly after that, the water temp was up in the low 50's and the dead stick bite really seemed to taper off. And that's pretty much how it went last year for me too. (had never really tried dead sticking until last year)

Tomorrow (tue) is looking pretty good, overcast and not too much wind.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
          Good report sir . It's easy to get spoiled on feeding frenzies. Just makes an average day seem not so average afterwards.
          Yeah those days when they're going bonkers definitely spoil you! I think I'll bring along a few jugs next time. Having a few jugs out can sometimes make an otherwise slow day a lot more interesting

Comment

Places to get minnows: Feel free to add or update outdated info.

Lakeside Food Store on 56

Lamp Post at 933

Sometimes Lampman’s Texaco will have them, sometimes not, “pending year”. Hwy 56

Trading Post Food store east of Kimble Bend on 174

Shell station on 1713 just west of 933

Hitching Post on 933 used to. But may be closed down now.

Used to be a gas station on Hwy 22 East of the dam. But not sure if it’s still there or not.

Used to be a bait shop in Peoria on hwy 22 near Aquilla. But not sure if it’s open any more.

Everbody else is welcome to chime in or update info.

Comment

Didn’t realize I had posted on the old form. The 2022 and 2023 in the end of the years almost looked the same if you just looked too fast. ��

Thanks for the minnow report.

With the water levels lower than usual, how are y’all finding the crappie on lake Aquilla? Been a few years since I did some crappie fishing. Used to find brush piles. But as of right now I don’t have a trolling motor so I can’t really go very deep without using an anchor pole.

Comment

If the fish are over 14' deep, I throw my anchor out upwind and let the rope drift me back past them. Then throw a second anchor out downwind. And pull the rope on the forward anchor till I'm over them. This will hold you steady over the brush pile. And keep you from side drifting. If the fish are less than 14' deep, I anchor out to the side and cast to them. Or forward of them and cast to them. Anchor anywhere but over them.

I have found that most crappie will spook if you get to close in a boat.

Comment

Thank you for this!

Comment

Any luck Turkey hunting at Aquilla?
                    Deer hunted a ton there this year but never saw or heard Turkey.

Comment

Think I'll give them a break this year. Birds just getting more scarce.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Got covered in turkey one day while deer hunting... May give it a go next week

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Has anyone had luck with turkeys? And can you use shotgun to hunt Turkey?
                          I looked on the Aquilla and Whitney site it doesn’t really clearly say you can use shotgun on Turkey as it clearly says deer and hogs are bow hunting only.

Comment

Originally posted by Deafishunter View Post
                            Has anyone had luck with turkeys? And can you use shotgun to hunt Turkey?
                            I looked on the Aquilla and Whitney site it doesn’t really clearly say you can use shotgun on Turkey as it clearly says deer and hogs are bow hunting only.

Yes, you can use a shotgun to hunt turkey. Nothing larger than #2 shot can be used.

I've never killed one on the W or A lakes. But have come close a few times. But I also don't chase them much out there any more, even though I have all the equipment to. Used to be a lot more than what there is now. I see them every once in a while, now. But not often enough to warrant chasing them.

Comment

Searching for Pigs

Only been hunting whitney a couple years. currently searching out a good area to get a couple daylight pigs. anybody got some better insight on the location of a few.

Comment

Originally posted by madarcher View Post
                                Only been hunting whitney a couple years. currently searching out a good area to get a couple daylight pigs. anybody got some better insight on the location of a few.
                                Just put out some corn. They will find it.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Working...
                                X