James Daughtry Lodging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

James Daughtry Lodging?

My son and his buddy drew Youth Javelina for early February. I have been calling down there to see what options there are for lodging, but can't get anyone on the phone to answer. So, I figured I would reach out to the Green Screen to see what those of you who have hunted there did for it. What say you, are there any cabins for rent in one of the nearby Parks, or is it only tent or pull a trailer? Also, do they allow you to bring a UTV? Any help would be appreciated, just trying to make this as enjoyable as possible for the boys, especially since their other hunt didn't go so well.

The WMA has a camping area you can use. Pretty minimal but it is conveniently located to the ranger station. We stayed in Three Rivers once at a “well it’s better than sleeping in the truck” hotel. Last year we stayed at the hotel in Tilden. Much better. Max’s Cafe in Tilden has great burgers. Perfect place to go after the hunt.

Comment

Max's cafe is great. Depending on the compartment you draw, Choke Canyon Lodge
      is a great place to stay. It could be a small distance away, but this place has everything.

Comment

We stayed at the WMA camping area a few years ago. If I remember correctly there was no electric or water but they did have a port a potty for our use.

Comment

Originally posted by climatecrisis View Post
          Max's cafe is great. Depending on the compartment you draw, Choke Canyon Lodge
          is a great place to stay. It could be a small distance away, but this place has everything.
          Choke Canyon Lodge is by far the best place to stay in the area. They're really nice people, and it's a quality place. The Down side is that there are a lot of bass tourneys that time of year, and you need to reserve in advance.

Comment

I have stayed at Kickin Bass Cabins a couple of times (closer to Three rivers but not a bad drive) and Tilden country inn in Tilden.

Kickin Bass is a lot nicer but is more expensive. Tilden Country Inn was plenty good for me and my boys the time we stayed there.

Good luck on the hunt.

Comment

When my son drew down there we stayed at the Bass Inn in Three Rivers. Was the closest place with availability.

Comment

I almost died of the motel coodies at the Bass Inn west of Three Rivers but that was 2012. Maybe they have remodeled since then.

Comment

When we hunted there we stayed in the state park. They have cabins to rent that are pretty basic but they were warm. They have three bars if remember correctly (we took a cot along for the fourth in our group). Restroom with showers within walking distance. Watch out for the coons, they will steal your food. Put something on top of the cooler you have with food in it. They opened a latched cooler and took the hamburgers we were going to have for supper one night. If you have a compartment by the lake it’s not a bad drive.

Comment

Awesome, TBH never fails to give help. I will look into these options, hopefully no tourneys that weekend. Anyone else have anything, just trying to cover all bases?

Comment

The Lodge in Tilden has cabins for like $40 a night cash It is located on hwy 72 about a block from the main intersection in Tilden. WMA doesn't allow utvs unless you have a disability.

Comment

Originally posted by buck_wild View Post
                        I almost died of the motel coodies at the Bass Inn west of Three Rivers but that was 2012. Maybe they have remodeled since then.
                        Just the mention of "Motel Cooties" gives me the " Itchy Scratchies".

Comment

Stayed at the Lodge in Tilden last year and at some cabins right by the Calliham unit entrance this year (cant remember the name). Both were good and reasonably priced $50-75 a night...

Comment

The place with cabins we stayed at last year was Grand Eagle Ford Lodge. It’s right in Tilden. Not bad at all for the price.

Bass Inn lodge will get you the scratchies. Last time I stayed there you stood on top of the plush shag carpet - reminded me of an 80’s hairspray stiffener. It was so nasty always wear shoes. The sheets seemed to move on their own. Maybe better now?

Comment

I've stayed in one of the cabins at the Calliham unit of the state park during a Daughtrey draw hunt. It was great. Fire ring to cook dinner (bring your own firewood). Cabins have electricity and beds with mattress (bring your own sleeping bag and plug-in heater). Restroom with shower was 40 yards away.

My son and I stayed at Texas Inn and Suites for one of his youth draws. It was great as well. Agave Jalisco is right across the street and had good Mexican food. And cold beer.
                              Last edited by Mule Skinner; 01-10-2023, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X