Insert adhesive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insert adhesive

I’m having a hard time finding an adhesive that will hold the inserts. Gold Tip Kentic Pierce 250 spine. I’ve tried hot melt, jb weld, jb weld 2 part epoxy, gorilla super glue & gorilla 2 part epoxy. I clean the insert with acetone, then use a bore brush for the inside of the shaft, then clean the inside of the shaft with a q-tip & acetone. Let what I use dry for 2 days or so but after about the 5th or 6th shot the insert come out inside my bag target. I’ve had to cut my open about 6 times to dig the insert out.

What in the world am I doing wrong or what can I use that will cause the insert to stay put?

West systems GFlex. It’s shock proof seems to work good.

Comment

That is odd - any of those adhesives should work fine. I use Bohning Insert Iron but I don't think the glue is the problem - something else is going on

Comment

Gold Tip Tip Grip
        No need for the bore brush either, just cut, square (if you do that) then clean with Acetone and a Q-Tip and glue up the insert.

Tip Grip also works great on vanes and feathers; one glue to rule them all.

Comment

Insert adhesive

This stuff is the best I’ve used. I used to have an issue pulling off Outserts on Deep and X Impacts. I switched to this stuff and I couldn’t get them off if I want to.....and I have tried....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you sure you're using the right insert?

Comment

Why are you using a bore brush? Some rubbing alcohol on a cotton swab is all that's needed. You may be creating a clearance issue wit the bore brush. I shoot 3D targets using just hot melt and dont have that issue. Epoxy should hold them forever.

Gary

Comment

I don’t score the inside of my shafts, only where the fletching adheres.

After spinning the insert with the clue applied, you may try drying them standing up on the insert end? Some feel that the glue coverage stays more uniform than when lying the arrow on its side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m gonna try some of the AAE epoxy. I use the bore brush as an after thought since I’ve pulled the inserts out just to score the inside of the shaft and after flying I do stand them in their ends to dry.

Comment

Insert adhesive

Originally posted by Black-N-Red View Post
                    I’m gonna try some of the AAE epoxy. I use the bore brush as an after thought since I’ve pulled the inserts out just to score the inside of the shaft and after flying I do stand them in their ends to dry.

I clean the bonding surfaces with DNA regardless of the adhesive. I do the OD of the insert and ID of the shaft with a standard setup, the opposite for an Outsert cleaning the OD of the shaft and the ID of the outsert. Regardless of the shaft type I cover the glueing surface with a light layer of the AAE, seat the insert/outsert against the shaft and lightly give it a full 360 degree turn. Doing so will evenly disperse the adhesive across the mating surfaces and force it into a concentric fit with the shaft. Let them full cure for 24 hrs in an upright position and you should be in good shape.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are you shooting broadheads into your bag target?

G5 Blu-Glu has never failed on me.

Comment

Working...
                      X