Small raw land--what to do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Small raw land--what to do?

I'm looking at possibly purchasing a small place around 60ac. Raw land, completely covered in cedar and few oak, no water source on the place. Mostly larger land owners as neighbors. No major elevation changes on the place.

What would you focus on doing first to make this place ideal for whitetail? How much cedar do you clear? Do you put in a water source or not? Clear out an area for food plots or not?

Part of me says leave it alone and slap up a corn feeder or two in Aug and be done. The other part would want to develop the place over the next few years and transform it into something special, but will it be worth all the work and money?

Thanks for all ideas and input.

I would opt for a water source first. A good well with a tank for the animals to drink out of and water for yourselves when camping would be ideal.
    You could then clear some cedar and get some good browse established to hold some deer and not just have them filtering through to other properties with water and forage.

Congrats and enjoy.

Comment

I wanted to do alot when I bought mine but didn't have the dough, so I just slapped up a feeder and 2 game cameras and called it good. If I had the funds, I would have Cleared a bit more. Added feeders and pens, dug a small pond, etc. Etc.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
        I would opt for a water source first. A good well with a tank for the animals to drink out of and water for yourselves when camping would be ideal.
        You could then clear some cedar and get some good browse established to hold some deer and not just have them filtering through to other properties with water and forage.

Congrats and enjoy.
        X2

The cedar and oaks provide cover, bedding areas, etc., but adding water and food would attract critters. Good luck.

Comment

5 acre oat patch dead center, not too big on the pocketbook and plant spring plots too. Get in and get out, low impact on the small tract for best results.

Comment

Water source for sure. If nothing more than a trough fed off a tote. Then a protein & corn feeder.

Comment

High Fence it, get a few giraffe, a zebra or 15, a couple dozen 300" Whitetail bucks, and go at it.
              Maybe a elk as well
              And don't laugh .

Comment

I wouldn't get too aggressive with any clearing until you understand how the animals are using the property. It's hard to replace good bedding.

Only hunt with a suppressor. Helps to keep the neighbors from keeping score on what's being killed across the fence.

Comment

I would build everything based on your entry. 60 acres is fairly small on flat ground.

My move would be to find a way to put a food source in conjunction with a water source. If you can find a clean way to make 2 setups, all the better.

I would find a good spot to put a 1-2 acre food plot and find some way to get water there too. Toss a feeder on the edge trail camera pictures and you’re set.

Keep your in-season prevailing winds, and your approach in mind for the entire design. The cleaner the entry, the more you can hunt it without deer going nocturnal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Pour the feed to them. They will come. If there is water near by on a neighboring property I wouldn’t even worry about water at this point. Just feed.

Comment

Put out feeders and hunt it one year. Then you’ll have a better idea of what you have and what, if any changes you might need to make.

Comment

Fixin to buy a new place so taking notes here.

We have decided to low fence immediately and do nothing for a while except plant a large food plot and feed like crazy.
                        No clearing or new roads until we learn the property
                        For sure we will have a larger sanctuary area we never enter in fall or winter

Enjoy.

Big pig

Comment

[QUOTE=toledo;15554916]I wouldn't get too aggressive with any clearing until you understand how the animals are using the property. It's hard to replace good bedding.

^^^^^^^^this for the first year or two

Then develop a plan......

bill

Comment

Sounds like you have cover. You just need water and groceries to make it a haven.

Comment

I’d put in watering stations and feed pens in several locations first. Then work on putting in a few food plots if possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X