Anyone made persimmon wine?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone made persimmon wine?

We have a bumper crop this year, and I think I'll make a go of it.

I just picked some wild mustang grapes and mashed them up last night. I have one batch of just sugar and grapes, and another of pineapple, watermelon, strawberry as one half and the other half grapes. Bought some yeast and it should be here tomorrow. In about 2 weeks I'll have made my first batch of wine. Pretty excited about that!

Good luck in your persimmon wine adventure!

Comment

Good friend of mines dad made a bunch

... it wasn’t drinkable, unless you had 1 goal in mind. Lol

Comment

I have some going right now! About time for me to filter and bottle.

Comment

I have made a good bit of wine, but never attempted persimmon. Let us know how it goes. Here is current batch of plum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

I bet persimmon wine would be good. As long as they aren’t green haha

Comment

Just a thought I've had more than once. Wife's got a juicer she has not used in ages. Instead of stompin and smashin all this fruit, how would a juicer be for starting a batch of wine?

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                I have made a good bit of wine, but never attempted persimmon. Let us know how it goes. Here is current batch of plum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
                I have the same setup you are using. What do you use to filter out of the dead yeast before bottling/canning?

Comment

I'll use a hose to siphon the liquid into a another glass carboy, and try to avoid sucking up the residue. After it sits in that carboy for a few weeks (clarify), I'll filter it into the bottles using coffee filters and a funnel. It can be slow process.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
                    I'll use a hose to siphon the liquid into a another glass carboy, and try to avoid sucking up the residue. After it sits in that carboy for a few weeks (clarify), I'll filter it into the bottles using coffee filters and a funnel. It can be slow process.
                    Ok I think that will be the route I will take this first go around as well. A couple Youtube sites I watched said that exposing the wine to air during the coffee filter process has the potential to turn it into vinegar. I guess I won't know till I try. Thanks for the help

Comment

bet it will pucker your lips

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        Ok I think that will be the route I will take this first go around as well. A couple Youtube sites I watched said that exposing the wine to air during the coffee filter process has the potential to turn it into vinegar. I guess I won't know till I try. Thanks for the help
                        Everything we have read, then the videos we saw, said, don't use coffee filters to strain wine. It takes flavor out and does other stuff, supposedly. I don't know, what it really does, we did not do it. I came up with the idea and had planned to strain the wine that way. Then my wife looked up the idea and found videos saying do not strain the wine with coffee filters. So we did not.

Some of what is recommended, is to let the wine sit, for at least a month, after it has stopped fermenting. We have about 4 gallons of mustang grape wine sitting right now. They say the longer you let it sit, the clearer the wine will get and the better it will taste. What we got out of some videos, is if you let it sit for a few months, it will clear up quite a bit.

Then they say to siphon the wine out of the container you have it it, leaving the sediment on the bottom. Basically don't siphon the sediment off the bottom. This way you should get very clear wine.

The batch we have going, we started July 15th., for the first 10 days or so, it was bubbling a lot, then it started to slow down. By day 14, it had mostly quit bubbling. But it still produces a few bubbles a day. We boiled, smashed the grapes, everything that went through the strainer or juicer, went into the container. Once the bubbling mostly quit. The upper half of the container, had clear wine, the lower half was very thick with grape pulp. So we strained it by running it through a sift, then through cheese cloth and into the secondary fermenting container. We used the same process we use for getting grape juice for making grape jelly. We just added sugar water and yeast, in stead of the gelatin, or whatever that stuff is called that makes it turn to jelly.

Most people smash the grapes, without boiling them. We boil them, it softens the grape skins and the membrane inside the grapes. So you get more out of the mustang grapes. But the people who don't boil the grapes, get more pure juice out of the grapes. I am sure less juice, for the same amount of grapes. The some other people making wine would put the smashed grapes, in a nylon bag and throw it in the wine, I guess to add flavor. Some we saw, just threw grapes or other fruit, like cherries, in the juice. Then they let it ferment.

They all seem to strain the wine, once it has mostly quit fermenting and at the same time, transfer it to a secondary container. Then once it's completely done, or as done as they want, the wine is siphoned into wine bottles. Again, leaving any sediment in the bottom of the secondary fermenting container. Which the secondary fermenting containers are glass, I guess, the glass does not affect the wine flavor and when siphoning, you can make sure you only siphon only the wine out of the container.

That's some of the basics we have gotten out of this wine making deal.

We plan on doing some dewberry wine next, possibly some prickly pear, pear wine.

If you get on youtube, there are a bunch of people who have info on making wine. But the people who have provided the best info by far, have a youtube channel called CS Mead and More. He knows this stuff very well. A lot of the others, just tell you what to do, not why you are doing this or that, at least not in any detail. Then not what to do, if you think something is wrong with your wine.
                        Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 08-07-2020, 07:46 PM.

Comment

To heck with the wine, just sit by that persimmon tree with your bow and wait for the deer to come a runnin'.

Comment

In for results. Good luck!

Comment

Hey folks. I mashed up my fruits and added sugar and yeast. The must looks really thick. Should I boil some water and add it? If so, how much for about 3 liters of must?

Comment

Working...
                              X