2 cups onions, peeled and minced

1 cup green bell pepper, seeded and minced

1 tablespoon flour

1 teaspoon salt (optional)

3 3⁄4 cups chicken stock or 3 3/4 cups broth

DIRECTIONS
    Heat oil in stockpot until very hot.
    Sprinkle seasoning on meat; stir well.
    Add meat to pot, brown on all sides until golden.
    Cook and stir 10 minutes.
    Add onion, bell pepper and flour, cook and stir 10 minutes.
    Add salt and chicken stock to pot cook and stir occasionally, scraping the bottom of pot to remove all the goodness.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      in 2017, nutria were responsible for eating/destroying 80,000 acres of marsh
      licensed hunters ($5 license) brought in 350,000 tails and barely put a dent in the population

here's a Bizzarre Foods episode where Andrew Zimmern met Black Ice's uncle down in Morgan City … and cooked a nutria gumbo. BI posts pics each alligator season with his 88 yr old ?? uncle who is a trapper and pretty much lives off the land.

https://www.travelchannel.com/shows/...d-oyster-gumbo

pretty much looks like a rabbit

nutria sauce piquant served over cathead biscuits
      They are delicious

Comment

They can be pretty aggressive. I was hunting at a friend's duck lease near Grand Chenier LA a few year's ago and one of his young labs about got his nose ripped off by a nutria.

Comment

Sorry, I'd have trouble eating these things. I'm sure they are good as long as a fella doesn't know what they are.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
            They can be pretty aggressive. I was hunting at a friend's duck lease near Grand Chenier LA a few year's ago and one of his young labs about got his nose ripped off by a nutria.

My lab loves to keep them at bay ALL night down at Twin Buttes. Good work out for her and I don’t worry about one crawling under my quilt with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
              Sorry, I'd have trouble eating these things. I'm sure they are good as long as a fella doesn't know what they are.
              Every rodent I have ever had has been absolutely delicious, don't let social conditioning hold you back my man!

Comment

Originally posted by 3whunt View Post
                a chicken is arguably the nastiest animal in the world yet people will wait in line 45 minutes to get a Popeye's spicy chicken sammich If you've seen the inside freezer and refrigerator at some restaurants you would never eat there again

I'm quite sure a nutria (or wild hog, wild rabbit) is healthier and more safe to consume than a commercial farm raised animal that is fed chemicals. It's the same analogy as people who raise natural grass fed beef. Those filets and ribeyes taste better than store bought beef at Winn Dixie or Kroger.

Comment

Guess I'm gonna be the odd ball. I've shot
                  a lot of beavers and a few nutrias with different caliber rifles. A shot gun with buck shot is the way to go. Beavers have always sunk after being shot. Only shot nutrias on the bank, so I'm not sure about them.

Comment

I have been after a couple over the last 6 months. Finally met up with one after a 257 yd shot with the 6.5 Creedmore. Missed 100 yd shot and then he propped up on a log soon after. Short boat ride and he was floating near the log.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Jspradley View Post
                      Every rodent I have ever had has been absolutely delicious, don't let social conditioning hold you back my man!
                      Beaver is greasy as all get out. Never again.

Gary

Comment

I've shot a few with a .22. Pretty tough if you body shoot them. Head shots work well.
                        Kill everyone you can. They'll destroy a pond.

Gary

Comment

They are easy to trap. Look for places they like to sit, especially where they have piled up mounds of vegetation like a nest. Place a #1.5 or #2 steel trap in the spot and attach it to a long wire and a few bricks anchored on the bottom. The weight of the trap will drown them quickly. Conibear type traps in culverts work real well too.

I used to get $14 each for them in the 80's.

This was a morning's catch from a lake...29 nutria out of 30 traps set.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Head shot and they usually float at or near the surface for a while - but hard to see from a distance. Poke a hole in the boiler plate and they usually sink.

Have never eaten one, but suspect they would be tender based on my experience of skinning them. Unlike most other animals, one cannot pull very hard on the loose skin when skinning. The body tends to pull apart real easily- at any joint or even any place along the spine. Unlike any other animal I have ever skinned. Also the meat is a deep dark red, more so than other animals.

Comment

[QUOTE=Native Texan;
                              I used to get $14 each for them in the 80's.
                              .[/QUOTE]

You did better than me, most I ever received for a batch of prime pelts was $11 and that didn’t last more than 2 years. Most other years it was $3 to $7 each.

Comment

Working...
                              X