Had a fun Saturday night/ Sunday morning, this past weekend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had a fun Saturday night/ Sunday morning, this past weekend

So Saturday night, I was out of beer, no Rebecca Creek or Jack Daniels. I could have driven into town earlier in the evening, but I was tired and did not feel like driving into town. So no drinking for me that night. Glad I did not. About 11:30, I got a call from a neighbor, next to my shop, that there was water pouring out of my shop. Oh boy, this is just what I want, to do on a Saturday night. I took off, went to town, got gas, I knew I was low, then off to the shop. It's about a 35 mile drive each way. On the way there, I called the guy who called me, and asked him to turn the power off to my building, because I knew I had extension cords plugged in, if the shop was flooded, not sure what might happen, not sure if it could start a fire, but definitely electrocute someone. So got the power off, I got there, to find water flowing from the far end of the building, lots of water. Got the door open, found the shop about 2" deep with water. When I was walking up to the shop, I could hear water blasting away inside, like a busted pipe. I got inside, went to the bathroom, the only place where there is water in the building. Sure enough that's where the problem was. One of the knobs on the faucet blew off, so there was water blasting upwards, hitting the ceiling, it blew the lens cover off of the bathroom light and blasted a hole in the sheetrock ceiling, over the sink. It washed out a bit of sheetrock. I was not in a good mood at that point. So I went home, but then remembered that I had the power off, so the food in the freezer would thaw out, so I turned around and went back to the shop. Then asked my neighbor, if I could put the food from my freezer in his freezer for the weekend, he said no problem. So that problem was fixed. I went home. I hoped the water would have drained or evaporated by Monday morning. I did not want to deal with getting all of that water out of the shop, that would be a pain.

So I get home, get undressed, climb into bed and hear BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! BOOM! Right off my wife and I both knew what the noise was, it has happened once before. Someone ran off the road and rolled their car. So we jumped up, got dressed, ran outside. I was looking for a flash light, then remembered I left them in the truck, because I took them with me to the shop.

My wife ran down the driveway, then started yelling fire. I could see a orange glow, as soon as we got out of the house, but assumed it was lights on a vehicle, nope, the car was on fire. I ran down to the road, there was dust everywhere, you could not see very far. The car, like the last one, slid, across our property, then hit our driveway, and started to roll. This one rolled end over end. Both vehicles landed on our neighbors property, both in the same general area. I went over to the car, found two guys standing next to the road. I asked if anyone was in the car, one said this is the driver.
    I asked again, if anyone was in the car, or did they know. Then the driver, said, no, there is nobody in the car. So I walked off, my wife already said we did not have a fire extinguisher, so we could not do anything about the fire. It was going to burn. The car got to burning pretty good, then the tank blew, that really got the fire going a lot bigger. It lit the grass on fire around the car and caught a large oak tree on fire, that the car landed next to. The car was laying in some tall dry grass. I was hoping the wind would not blow the fire our way. I checked the wind, it was blowing our way, but a light breeze. Sure enough the fire started moving our way, but slowly.

It took the fire truck about 10 minutes from the time my wife called for the fire truck to get there, they got there pretty quickly. We are about 10.5 miles from town. When I saw the fire truck coming, I could tell it was a large truck and moving very fast. Never seen a fire truck moving along that fast, I sure was happy about it doing so.

They had about four sheriff's Tahoes out there and a DPS officer, then the fire turck and I think a ambulance. So we had plenty of flashing lights going. the fire fighters got the fire out quickly, they stopped the fire on the neighbor's property. We got the driver's name from the DPS officer, then went inside. But I could not sleep with the noise outside and the flashing lights. I finally got to sleep around 4:00 AM, then something woke me up around 6:30, I knew I could not get back to sleep, which I did not.

So Sunday morning we went down and looked at the damage. I found he slid about 150 yards in the grass along side the road, then hit our driveway, which is road base. The whole area is sand. So when the vehicles slide in the sand at high speeds, then high our driveway, they start rolling. The first one, was a Avalanche, it rolled on it's side and roof. That one rolled about seven or eight times. This one was a Volvo, it went end over end. I am guessing the first time it landed, it landed on it's rear bumper, dug out a big deep crater in the ground. The flipped through the air, went through the top of one of our large oak trees, down near the road. It took limbs off of that tree, over 15 ft. high. Then laid over another oak tree, broke the tops off of some more, shattered a old big dead oak. Then broke off a 8" diameter oak about 6' from the ground. It also cleared some oaks that were 15' tall, without damaging them at all. Then it came down, right at the fence line on our side of the fence. I assume nose first, made a hole that looks like a bomb crater. Took out the fence, then landed once more on the neighbor's property, before landing on it's roof, then caught fire. It burnt about a 50' diameter area of the neighbor's property and burnt a large oak tree. It burnt the car to the point, the radiator, condenser and other aluminum pieces made a large pile of melted aluminum on the ground. The Volvo is smashed toast, it's very well done.

So I had a flood at the shop, then a fire at the house and no way of getting water on the fire. I was standing there watching the fire, thinking, it sure would be nice, if I could get some of that water flooding the shop, to the house, to put out the fire we had at the house.

I could have done without this past Saturday night. I spent all day, today, getting the water out of the shop, still had water about 1 1/2" deep in the shop, when I showed up this morning. The front of our property looks like we had a war going on or a tornado and a couple of bombs going off.

Good grief

Comment

2020 sucks 🤨

Comment

Goodness gracious. Glad everyone is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Wow glad everyone was ok

Comment

Pics man!

Comment

I thought cleaning my garage was pain Saturday night! You win!

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                Pics man!
                My wife has a video or two of the car burning, I may post it up, tomorrow.

Comment

I bet you slept better Sunday

Comment

Was it just like in the movies, nuclear bomb type explosion?

Comment

Sounds exhausting

Comment

So what do you do for excitement?

Comment

Originally posted by deerwatcher51 View Post
                          So what do you do for excitement?
                          Usually pretty crazy stuff, but usually not in the middle of the night, at least not in the last 20 years.

Comment

Originally posted by twosixteens View Post
                            I bet you slept better Sunday
                            Yep, by nine in the evening, I was dozing off, could not stay awake.

Comment

Dang it man.....thats a heck of a bad weekend. Hope you get your shop back in order soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X