Suppressors and police game warden check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Has anyone with a suppressor ever been quizzed by law enforcement about your tax stamp or even ask if you had one on a rifle you have with you?

Not even once. I have had a couple that wanted to shoot my rifle, out at the range, but even they never asked for anything like that. That said, there's always that one guy....

Comment

Yup...2 hours & 3 backup cars later after arguing w/ supervisors the rookie trooper took off like a spoiled brat peeling out since they turned out to be legal & couldn't put the evil gun owner in jail.

Lesson...don't leave anything in plain view.

Comment

Had a hunter brought In to ranch headquarters @ about 3am by border patrol and game warden handcuffed , he was released after he pulled his paperwork from his briefcase
        Never found out the end result from the state trooper citation he received for harvesting deer at night

Comment

Originally posted by pilar View Post
          Had a hunter brought In to ranch headquarters @ about 3am by border patrol and game warden handcuffed , he was released after he pulled his paperwork from his briefcase
          Never found out the end result from the state trooper citation he received for harvesting deer at night
          The suppressors papers gives the owner the right to buy and possess the suppressor for all legal uses. Shooting deer at night or of out of season, not hunting with a hunting license, trespassing, speeding, and spitting on the side walk, are not legal, so is the paper work for those actions.

We really need to change the law to where we can buy suppressors on just the 4473 form. Really should be like buying a pair of ear muffs and not even on 4473 form.
          Last edited by Thumper; 09-17-2020, 03:23 PM.

Comment

I’ve been pulled over countless times with a suppressed SBR riding shotgun in plain view. I never get anything more than a “don’t reach for yours and I won’t reach for mine”.

Comment

Never asked for paperwork

I do keep pics of stamps on phone just in case

Comment

I’ve had mine for years. Never been asked but I don’t advertise them either

Comment

Never been asked
                  My good friend who is a cop told me to just keep a picture of my stamp and paperwork on my phone and I should be good

Comment

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by shiner78; 09-17-2020, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I would need to look at state law but the ATF only mentions that proof of registration must be shown to an ATF officer. It does not mention anyone else.

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported. [26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 479.101]

Since 46.05(c) was repealed in 2015 which was defense to prosecution “silencers” are legal in Texas (assuming they are properly registered in the NFA records or classified as a curio or relic) the defense to prosecution is no longer needed.

I don’t see anywhere that it states you must provide proof of registration to any Texas Law Enforcement official.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Last edited by Mike D; 09-17-2020, 07:22 PM.

Comment

I keep copies in my phone just in case

Comment

Originally posted by LMiz View Post
                          Never been asked
                          My good friend who is a cop told me to just keep a picture of my stamp and paperwork on my phone and I should be good
                          Nobody told me that but that’s what I’ve done since I owned the only one I have. Never been checked but it’s good insurance.......I hope.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            I would need to look at state law but the ATF only mentions that proof of registration must be shown to an ATF officer. It does not mention anyone else.

Yes. The approved application received from ATF serves as evidence of registration of the NFA firearm. This document must be made available upon request of any ATF officer. It is suggested that a photocopy of the approved application be carried by the possessor when the weapon is being transported. [26 U.S.C. 5841(e); 27 CFR 479.101]

Since 46.05(c) was repealed in 2015 which was defense to prosecution “silencers” are legal in Texas (assuming they are properly registered in the NFA records or classified as a curio or relic) the defense to prosecution is no longer needed.

I don’t see anywhere that it states you must provide proof of registration to any Texas Law Enforcement official.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is my understanding as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad y’all brought this up I need to take pictures of all my stamps. Currently in STX at dove camp with 2 suppressors and got to thinking I left with zero paperwork on me. Other than my trust in my email. I use to keep the stamps close but kinda got use to hauling the cans around and don’t ever think about it anymore its just 2nd nature.

Comment

Working...
                              X