Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you were going to start a hunting lease.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you were going to start a hunting lease.....

Give me your opinions on management/cull buck rules.

I’m considering taking on another lease starting next year.

It would be Archery only.
    Hunters would be required to feed protein.
    This would be a lease that should grow 140”+ bucks.

I figured 1 trophy, 2 doe, and at least one management.

Question is what would you consider management?

This is a place near Eldorado. Lots of deer in the area.

I run two smaller leases. I Lease out to like minded friends and have zero rules. Pretty fun. I used to run a larger lease with rules, took the fun out of it.

Comment

That would have to be determined by the bell curve of your herd, imo.

Comment

Trophy at least 5.5 and over 130
        Management At least 5.5 and under 130

Comment

I would put Smart in the 140-150" deer every year blind...

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
            Trophy at least 5.5 and over 130
            Management At least 5.5 and under 130

So you don’t shoot any deer you consider inferior or undesirable until it’s 5.5 years old?

What about a slick 6 at 4.5 or even 3.5?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              So you don’t shoot any deer you consider inferior or undesirable until it’s 5.5 years old?

At least 5.5 no matter what .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Unless you're high fence, culling is pissing in the wind. Let 'em all get a little age and shoot what you like. You'll be surprised what " inferior " deer can do with age and proper nutrition..

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Unless you're high fence, culling is pissing in the wind. Let 'em all get a little age and shoot what you like. You'll be surprised what " inferior " deer can do with age and proper nutrition..
                  This all day long. Just go with a flat age restrictions and don’t top out at 5 or 6, shoot for 8-9.

Comment

They can rack up a feed bill for sure. I usually have 20 deer at my feeder. I agree with you. I’m not really culling in an effort to drastically change the herd. I do think killing a below average buck is 100% effective in preventing him from breeding though

Comment

Originally posted by GoneSouth View Post
                      This all day long. Just go with a flat age restrictions and don’t top out at 5 or 6, shoot for 8-9.
                      Wow 8-9!

Problem I know I will have with that is all the leases around me consider a 4.5 to be a trophy. I was thinking of making my minimum 5.5 for trophies. Some of the ideas on culls are interesting so far.

Comment

I am in with this. Especially if you have a lot of deer. I disagree with some of the deer we cull out because I think they aren't old enough.
                        I like the less rules the better too. Get quality people and they know what to do. Mistakes will be made but that's part of it too.

Comment

They can rack up a feed bill for sure. I usually have 20 deer at my feeder. I agree with you. I’m not really culling in an effort to drastically change the herd. I do think killing a below average buck is 100% effective in preventing him from breeding though
                          Lots of proven research to rebuttal that, did you kill the sir and dam who made the inferior deer also? You'll never stop the lineage of inferiority unless you can control and contain the environment in which they reside... aka... HF, with years and years of culling.

Some studies have shown, even behind a fence it can take up to 10 years to alter a herds genetic makeup.

Just let them shoot what they want. Makes life easier

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

We have tried to do it. We have talked about it. And in 16 years we haven't made or seen a lick of difference in our quality of bucks. The only time we saw major, major results were in 2010 and 11 during the drought. Mother nature cleaned house!

Comment

Lots of proven research to rebuttal that, did you kill the sir and dam who made the inferior deer also? You'll never stop the lineage of inferiority unless you can control and contain the environment in which they reside... aka... HF, with years and years of culling.

Some studies have shown, even behind a fence it can take up to 10 years to alter a herds genetic makeup.

Just let them shoot what they want. Makes life easier

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
                              I agree with you. Most leases still allow some sort of a cull or management buck instead of allowing two trophy bucks. I’m just trying to get a better handle on what parameters would be considered a management on a lease that is growing trophies

Comment

Working...
                              X