Chandeleur Islands recap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chandeleur Islands recap

We did our annual Chandeleur trip last week for the 11th year in a row. Fishing went from bad, to AWESOME, to good in a 3-day span.

1st day- We only fished a half day and caught 7 keeper trout between 6 of us (lots of dinks). We also came across a school of reds and all of us managed to land some nice ones ranging from 30" - 35" with one going right at 40".

2nd day- We went to the same spot and wore them out til about 9:30 AM when a storm chased us back to the boat (where we may or may not have drank a few beers riding out the rain). After the rain and wind died down, we went back out and finished our 150 trout limit and were done and back at the harbor by 3:30 PM. Most trout ranged from 14" - 19"

3rd day- We went to the same spot again but had expectations to get pushed out pretty early due to projected weather forecast including heavy winds and lots of rain. Lucky for us, none of that came true and we were able to have a favorable day. With everybody having shoulder aches from the previous day of catching and not wanting to clean that many fish again, we opted to only keep the bigger trout. We ended up with 50 trout with most going over 15" and a few right at 20".

All fish were caught wading with soft plastics (don't let the shrimp soakers steer you otherwise). I didn't bother throwing top waters since one of the other guys threw one for 2 hours and only caught 1 dink trout.

To sum it all up, we ended the trip with just over 200 trout and an unlimited supply of great memories.
    Attached Files

Kool............

Comment

Wow, that sure looks like a bunch of fun.

Rwc

Comment

Sounds like y’all had a very good trip I had a buddy down there weekend before last and they did poorly. They were fishing with one of the bigger outfits off of a mothership and brought home a total of 70 trout among 6 people.

Comment

The best part was it only cost $220/person TOTAL (3 meals a day, boat fuel, truck/car fuel, ice, cabin). That's with hauling a 22' boat from Katy and driving another car so we weren't all crammed in 1 vehicle.

Comment

Congrats! Great trip!

Comment

Looks like a great trip. Was it DIY, or did y'all use one of the outfitters?

Comment

Sounds like a fun trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice! One day I'll try it!

Comment

Originally posted by outlook8 View Post
                    Looks like a great trip. Was it DIY, or did y'all use one of the outfitters?
                    DIY. The guy that owns the boat, grew up in LA and fished the islands most of his life.

For the guys looking to try it out, I highly recommend it. There is a plentiful amount of fish (sometimes they lack in size) and its well worth the trip.

Comment

so yall stayed in La and cruised back and forth by day?

How long of a boat ride is that from La? Ive learned my FIL has a good friend with a house on the water in Biloxi, he says the boat ride is about 45 minutes and this is an option we're exploring but with 2-3 boats

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

How long of a boat ride is that from La? Ive learned my FIL has a good friend with a house on the water in Biloxi, he says the boat ride is about 45 minutes and this is an option we're exploring but with 2-3 boats
                        We launched and stayed at Venice marina. Boat ride depends on the wind, but on average I would say 45 minutes - 1 hour. It gets costly on the boat fuel going back and forth everyday, but luckily, he has a pretty decent fuel efficient motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

Originally posted by AggieSportsman View Post
                          We launched and stayed at Venice marina. Boat ride depends on the wind, but on average I would say 45 minutes - 1 hour. It gets costly on the boat fuel going back and forth everyday, but luckily, he has a pretty decent fuel efficient motor.
                          Shane,
                          Keep in mind, that island chain is over 60 miles long... If you run out Baptiste Collette Pass near Venice, it's only about 15 miles to Breton Island and only about 7 miles of that is open bay... However, you'd be fishing totally different areas from where we fished. The lower end of the island chain has a lot more open water between islands and you need a good deep V boat or one that can take open gulf conditions... Out of Gulfport is also a very good option. I've done that before, and depending on which heading you take, you can wind up very near to where we fish with the other charters, or down lower toward Gosier/Grand Gosier all the way to Breton... I've fished those islands too and really prefer them better than the north islands... just a little more tricky and must watch the weather more closely.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                            Shane,
                            Keep in mind, that island chain is over 60 miles long... If you run out Baptiste Collette Pass near Venice, it's only about 15 miles to Breton Island and only about 7 miles of that is open bay... However, you'd be fishing totally different areas from where we fished. The lower end of the island chain has a lot more open water between islands and you need a good deep V boat or one that can take open gulf conditions... Out of Gulfport is also a very good option. I've done that before, and depending on which heading you take, you can wind up very near to where we fish with the other charters, or down lower toward Gosier/Grand Gosier all the way to Breton... I've fished those islands too and really prefer them better than the north islands... just a little more tricky and must watch the weather more closely.
                            Yea, Id only attempt with another boat, radios etc. The guy in Biloxi has a 26 footer with twins which would be great to get there but not so great once you arrive. Ive run my rig off shore in favorable conditions more than once.

Weather would be a much larger hurdle to accomplish this vs. a mother ship trip

Comment

The southern islands are not as much of a navigation problem for larger boats. They drop off quicker, but they're smaller islands too... Having said that, I haven't been there since before Katrina/Rita, so things may have changed up a LOT! Not even sure about that pass still being open. If it is, it sure makes for an easy shot getting out there if you run out of Venice.

Comment

Working...
                              X