Today's gonna be aggravating (Archery)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Today's gonna be aggravating (Archery)

I know I'm finally starting an archery thread.

I've got 4 separate arrow builds right now and 1 bow.
    They all have their merits. I can't decide on which one.
    Therefore I don't shoot.

I HAVE TO finalize today.

1) small diameter, 550ish grains HFOC
    2) STD Diameter 480 grains HFOC
    3) STD Diameter 423 grains low FOC
    4) cheap pig arrows.

Now there's broadhead selection
    Single bevel or two
    Mechanical or fixed
    High mechanical advantage
    Serrated or not
    100, 125, 150, 190 or more grain
    I have some of each of the components

Oh what about vanes vs feathers.
    I have arrows with each....
    Last edited by Pushbutton2; 04-06-2019, 12:19 PM.

Good luck with the hokey pokey PB2. I vote 1&2 if youre asking.

I stayed up late this week and shucked some wraps off some inherited shafts. Darn flight was horribly variable shaft to shaft with the wrap on. 9gr off the rear. Flight seems more consistent upon bareshafting.

Comment

Are you shooting a trad bow?

Comment

Too many people over think this

Unless you are shooting traditional equipment or hunting dangerous game &$&% all the crazy foc and weight drama. I blow through pigs as bigger than most will ever see at 60# 28” with 385gr total arrows and slick tricks. Heck a huge Texas deer ain’t 16” thick and 99% of that is mush

1. Shoot what you can afford to shoot
        2. Shoot what tunes and shoots best
        3. Shoot what you have 100% confidence i

After that it’s a D!@) measuring contest as to how far in the dirt the arrow stuck after a pass through

Note small diameter shafts sometimes suck in a lot of quivers

I’d go low to mid 400’s weight with 100 or 125 broadhead of your choice in confidence

If your shooting a modern compound bow you don’t need 53%foc and a 629 grain single bevel to kill anything in North America

JMHO

Comment

Thanks for writing all that out for me Kyle.

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
            I know I'm finally starting an archery thread.

I've got 4 separate arrow builds right now and 1 bow.
            They all have their merits. I can't decide on which one.
            Therefore I don't shoot.

I HAVE TO finalize today.

1) small diameter, 550ish grains HFOC
            2) STD Diameter 480 grains HFOC
            3) STD Diameter 423 grains low FOC
            4) cheap pig arrows.

Now there's broadhead selection
            Single bevel or two
            Mechanical or fixed
            High mechanical advantage
            Serrated or not
            100, 125, 150, 190 or more grain
            I have some of each of the components

Oh what about vanes vs feathers.
            I have arrows with each....
            Dude! You are making this to difficult.

Comment

Shoot the weight, you’re a big guy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                Are you shooting a trad bow?
                No sir

Comment

Why so much thought? Are these competition arrows or just hunting and practice!?!? What are you trying to achieve

Comment

Less tinkering. More practicing!

Comment

So....
                      I get to the Bow Shop in Canton, TX.

One of bow tech sees me walk in with my bow, 2 plastic tackle boxes, and an arrow carrier.
                      He asks what's up. I tell him.

He's like ok. These ain't broke, yet :-) shoot pigs with them. When they break we'll build a couple of your deer arrows than a couple of your pig arrows. In the meantime let's weigh them. And see where we stand. I shot about 30 arrows. Sometimes good sometimes not so good.

First group in months.
                      It was 20 yds shooting @ the roofing tacks

So I shot some more but couldn't hit my groove.
                      This thing kept getting in my way.

Than remembered it is a kisser button. Started using it. Tightened up my groups and than they got sloppy. My anchor point was moving and I was bringing my head to the bow. Fixed that and Bam. Hit 3 tacks in 5 shots. I called it a day.
                      Loaded up and went to Walmart. Come out to find this on my truck. Close to where I'd left them.
                      My arrow building kit and braod head kit
                      Last edited by Pushbutton2; 04-06-2019, 06:17 PM.

Comment

30-30 or .243 will probably be ok. Go 30-06 when in doubt.[emoji23]
                        I just went from 412 grain total weight and mechanical heads to 592 grains and Magnus stinger buzzcuts. Only shot one pig since the change. Got a pass through on him. Only got pass through on 2 pigs out of around 10 with the old setup. So, I've killed things with both, haven't decided which I like better. Shot placement is the only thing that really matters though. Play around with all of it and figure out what works for you.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by txoutdoorsman24 View Post
                          Why so much thought? Are these competition arrows or just hunting and practice!?!? What are you trying to achieve
                          Just hunting.
                          I'm a good Boy Scout and a former Active Duty Marine Infantry.

I practiced lots for several months before stepping in the field to hunt

I watched the first animal I ever harvested with a bow suffer for 2+ hours cause of me. 2 things went wrong.
                          1) poor shot placement
                          2) arrow didn't perform like I thought it should. Deflected by a rib. Instead of hitting back of lungs hit guts.

I was a mess. I decided then and there I was done hunting. Period end discussion. Luckily or unluckily for you Sambo73 was there with me. We spoke/texted. A piglet came in Sambo73 texted saying I should shoot it. I hesitated cause the first animal still wasn't dead yet. I did shoot the piglet. That was fun.

I didn't quit but decided to learn more.
                          He turned me on to TBH.

I've had other less than stellar moments but it's been all me. Equipment has worked like I wanted.
                          Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                          Less tinkering. More practicing!
                          I know it!
                          Hopefully this will kick me out of my rut.

Comment

Originally posted by Muskles View Post
                            30-30 or .243 will probably be ok. Go 30-06 when in doubt.[emoji23]
                            I just went from 412 grain total weight and mechanical heads to 592 grains and Magnus stinger buzzcuts. Only shot one pig since the change. Got a pass through on him. Only got pass through on 2 pigs out of around 10 with the old setup. So, I've killed things with both, haven't decided which I like better. Shot placement is the only thing that really matters though. Play around with all of it and figure out what works for you.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk
                            I went from 5.56 to . 308 :-)

My pig arrows are 480ish using Grim Reaper Hog heads.

Hunting arrows 571 with 125 grain Magnus Stingers. I've gotten passthroughs on the stuff I've shot. Well except that one time I shot a sow standing next to a feeder leg. The broad head got stopped by the feeder leg before it could go all the way through..

Comment

Originally posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
                              Just hunting.
                              I'm a good Boy Scout and a former Active Duty Marine Infantry.

I practiced lots for several months before stepping in the field to hunt

I watched the first animal I ever harvested with a bow suffer for 2+ hours cause of me. 2 things went wrong.
                              1) poor shot placement
                              2) arrow didn't perform like I thought it should. Deflected by a rib. Instead of hitting back of lungs hit guts.

I was a mess. I decided then and there I was done hunting. Period end discussion. Luckily or unluckily for you Sambo73 was there with me. We spoke/texted. A piglet came in Sambo73 texted saying I should shoot it. I hesitated cause the first animal still wasn't dead yet. I did shoot the piglet. That was fun.

I didn't quit but decided to learn more.
                              He turned me on to TBH.

I've had other less than stellar moments but it's been all me. Equipment has worked like I wanted.
                              I know it!
                              Hopefully this will kick me out of my rut.
                              Ok. I can understand what you’re saying why you are approaching it that way.but you are going to get in your own head when the first animals steps out in front of you again. I have been bow only for ten years plus and have made some bad, and some fantastic shots. It’s just part of it. Bad shots will happen bc animals will move at that last second and there ain’t sheet you can do then. You are def over thinking but you have your reasons. Best thing to do is set that bow up one way and never look back. Shoot it, shoot it again, and then shoot some more.

I shoot each and every arrow I have at any sized animal. Nilgai all the way down to a rabbit.
                              Last edited by txoutdoorsman24; 04-06-2019, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X