No announcement yet.

Tree ID please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ash tree. Likely Green Ash, based on the 5 leaflet set. I have one in my backyard that was planted as a 5/8" diameter and 32" tall twig 18 years ago. It is now about 30' tall and 28" in diameter.

Here is a good identification guide:

They are prone to Ash Borers, so you have to keep an eye on them. Not the worst residential landscape tree, but not the best either.

cricman

Comment

I did a lot of research on pecan, walnut and hickory trees months ago. Found they are all in the same family. In all of my searching and reading, most of it was on hickory trees. Those leaves are perfect examples of hickory leaves.

If you look up hickory trees and read about the layout of the leaves and the many variations of hickory trees, I think the leaves on your tree really look like hickory. Not sure which type, but some type of hickory.

Then read about the limbs. I know they say, if you slice a limb, it should have a pentagon shaped dark core. That's the sure fire way of telling. The way the leaves are growing, where there is a leaf at the end of a group of leaves, then around numerous leaves that grow directly across from each other from that same stalk. There is a name for that stalk. I don't remember what they called it and I am not a tree expert.
      Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 04-07-2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Yep I think it’s a Ash. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Originally posted by Froggy View Post
          Chinese Pistache. I have four on my place. They are often mistaken for pecan trees.

http://texassuperstar.com/plants/pis...pistachep.html
          Dangit. I hate it when I'm wrong.

Comment

I think green ASH

Comment

A happy tree.

Comment

Man usually these posts are like the snake ones and the answer is one or two posts down this one is a head scratcher.

Comment

I'm in the ASH camp, but have no idea which one.

Comment

The leaf scar will tell if it's white or green ash. Doe the bud sit down in the scar or on top of it.
                    Looks like green ash to me.

Comment

Working...
                    X