Back surgery............advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back surgery............advice?

Been a fight with insurance, but surgery date set for September 9th. Fusion on L5/S1, synthetic disc replacements between L3/L4 and L4/L5.

Not looking forward to it, but it has to be done. Been out of work the last month, and most of last 6 months. Doc's saying full recovery in about 3 months, but those I've talked to with similar surgeries saying 9 months to over a year.

Anyone had something similar with advice?

My hunting is out for this year.

Hate that for you, I have a little back problem too, and surgery scares the hell out of me, especially at my age. Good luck with yours.

Comment

Maybe able to hunt late season......think ground blinds. Take rehab/physical therapy seriously. Each one is different. Two upper spine surgeries and one lower back here.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

Considering surgery for my back right now. Hope it for good for you. I’ve seen people do great but other do terrible after.

Comment

Wife has had two back and two neck surgeries over a period of about 12 years. Symptoms improved significantly after each one. Hang in there and do what they say including the physical therapy/exercises post op.

Comment

Woke up with a numb right arm the last two mornings. My neck is about done...........

Comment

Good luck to you. I need back surgery but I'm in a holding pattern at the moment.

Comment

My girlfriend had the synthetic disk replacement at the ripe old age 23.
                Go in from the front, chisel it out, and then hammer the new one in.
                Lifespan of 20 yrs, only a few doctors in the world that will replace a synthetic disk, none in the US(as of 6 yrs ago).
                Should be fun when she hits her 40s, not sure how that will be handled.
                Worst experience of her life for sure, maybe mine as well .
                I showed her a video on YouTube the night before, and she started balling
                3 days in the hospital, and almost 7 months off HELL.
                The nerves growing back and all that good stuff, was horrible, and took forever to heal and the pain go away.
                Her feet would burn like they were on fire, and she would just scream, then her legs would be numb, then her back would be on fire, then her toes would sound off, over and over and over, day after day.
                Spent those months in lazyboy, it was the only way she could tolerate it.
                Her grandfather had died from cancer about 2 yrs previous and her mom still had a big bottle of liquid morphine, were it not for that I would have had to just knock her out lol.
                Couple drops under her tongue, and goodnight.
                All in all though, it was a gamechanger.
                She has no residual pain of anykind, never bothers her, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                  Been a fight with insurance, but surgery date set for September 9th. Fusion on L5/S1, synthetic disc replacements between L3/L4 and L4/L5.

Not looking forward to it, but it has to be done. Been out of work the last month, and most of last 6 months. Doc's saying full recovery in about 3 months, but those I've talked to with similar surgeries saying 9 months to over a year.

Anyone had something similar with advice?

My hunting is out for this year.
                  I have had double digit ortho surgeries and I can tell you there is a difference in being recovered which is what your doctor is telling you and being fully back which is what your friends are telling you. Most of my surgeries took until 9-12 months before I would say Im was at 100% again. You know as in not feeling "things", random pain, or just not noticing it any longer.

Best of luck. Surgery isnt fun, especially on the back. That was the last one I had.

Comment

Howdy,
                    Been there, done that, effed up cause I rushed it, and did it again.
                    Started out with a micro discectomy and laminectomy. “You’ll be good in 3 months….”
                    Pushed it and effed up lead me to more surgeries.
                    L5; S1 fusion was my last one.
                    It’s been amazing.
                    I don’t live with chronic pain. If I have some ache I use a heating pad or ice and I’m good.
                    Physical therapy is a MUST.
                    Wear the dang brace.

I recommend Texas Back Institute if you’re in the DFW area. Overall I’m glad I did it.
                    Took about 6 months after the fusion to get back to fighting fire but it was worth it.

And TAKE IT EASY.
                    Message me with questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

[QUOTE=NannySlayer;15773610]Howdy,
                      Been there, done that, effed up cause I rushed it, and did it again.
                      Started out with a micro discectomy and laminectomy. “You’ll be good in 3 months….”
                      Pushed it and effed up lead me to more surgeries.
                      L5; S1 fusion was my last one.
                      It’s been amazing.
                      I don’t live with chronic pain. If I have some ache I use a heating pad or ice and I’m good.
                      Physical therapy is a MUST.
                      Wear the dang brace.

I recommend Texas Back Institute if you’re in the DFW area. Overall I’m glad I did it.
                      Took about 6 months after the fusion to get back to fighting fire but it was worth it.

And TAKE IT EASY.
                      Message me with questions.

She has been there and done that.

Good luck....................................

Comment

Had lumbar disectomy surgery about three months ago and still not 100%. One level herniated disc at L4-L5. I am much better, no more sciatica, no more pain but still recovering and getting my strength and flexibility back. I don't think I will ever be 100% again because I'm going to do everything I can to avoid another injury.

Comment

I had two Disc replaced in my neck with the MOBI-C. Honestly wasn’t bad at all. A little sore for a couple days and after that I did what the doctor said to do and I’ve been back to work now for almost a year. Being a firefighter I’ve put my neck and back through the ringer. No issues. I have to have my L5/S1 operated on. No fusion as my doctor doesn’t like doing that on 31 year olds so he is going to shave the disc and bone around that disc. I picked February so I didn’t miss duck & deer season. So no help with fusion. I know you need to stick to therapy as they say and even if you start feeling better don’t over do it. Stick to what doctor says. Good luck with your surgery.

Comment

Wife has had two surgeries with titanium ladder she did not listen to her doctor , and increase her core strength because the pain , she wore a brace called a turtle and also
                            Did bone stimulation therapy, it’s been 10 years since last surgery and it was no cake walk

I need a lumbar surgery and a disk in my neck, I have been putting it off for a couple of years, because her pain management after surgery was terrible and it scared the heck out of me, but we know lots of people who breezed right though the recovery so I say roll the dice
                            And get it and follow the Pt and pain management nurses advise

Comment

Start walking now- i could only walk about 1/4 mile before i got “club foot”. But i would walk 8-10 times a day. Loose as much weight as you can. Learn how to get out of bed before surgery. I was Nov 3 2020. I just got finished with Glacier, Yellowstone, and will be in Glacier tomorrow. We have been doing 5-10 mike hikes a day. Im back in the weight room. Start walking when you wake up. Walk further ever day. Get good shoes. I walk 25 to 40 miles every week. On my 4th pair of Brooks since November
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X