How to keep truck gun from rusting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to keep truck gun from rusting?

Humidity out here is crazy with the 27” of rain in 30 days… seems like every time I get in my truck in the AM there’s more rust spots on the barrel and action, getting kind of tired of it. Usually rattle can my guns to prevent this but trying to get away from that mentality. What oils do y’all use or coatings to prevent the light surface rusts from happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oil doesn't last I use bore tech extreme grease
    I work a few hundred yards from the bay in Port Lavaca and live in Victoria so salt air is pretty extreme. No rust at all

Comment

Good stuff
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
        Oil doesn't last I use bore tech extreme grease
        I work a few hundred yards from the bay in Port Lavaca and live in Victoria so salt air is pretty extreme. No rust at all

Noted, I live in Wharton and travel to Matagorda quite a bit so there’s no shortage of salty air

Comment

Have all the metal cerakoted

Comment

I just spray painted my truck gun

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Good stuff
              I have used this for 40 years.

Comment

Eezox. Dries to a film that protects longer term.

Comment

Paint and cerakote are great but they don't protect the internal part not coated. I used to carry a cerakoted 35 Rem Marlin it rusted inside the bbl and the action. For the last couple years my truck gun has been a Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 (antifa/hog cannon). Marlin's blueing is pretty bad the grease has worked the best for me I just reapply it about 3 times a year.

Comment

Any external oil is going to leave the gun oily all the time and attract dirt.
                    1. Truck gun is usually a beater, so I don't disagree with spray painting it.
                    2. Cerakote it if you want to spend money on it.
                    3. Buy a Stainless gun for the Truck

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
                      I have used this for 40 years.
                      Going to have to buy some this weekend!!

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                        Any external oil is going to leave the gun oily all the time and attract dirt.
                        1. Truck gun is usually a beater, so I don't disagree with spray painting it.
                        2. Cerakote it if you want to spend money on it.
                        3. Buy a Stainless gun for the Truck

Yeah usually do rattle can them but I kinda dig the way it looks right now, so used to the barrels on AR’s all being stainless I forget about stuff like this. Probably the first bolt gun I’ve had in 10 years that wasn’t rattle canned, didn’t know they got surfaced this easy

Comment

Originally posted by dphillips62 View Post
                          Paint and cerakote are great but they don't protect the internal part not coated. I used to carry a cerakoted 35 Rem Marlin it rusted inside the bbl and the action. For the last couple years my truck gun has been a Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 (antifa/hog cannon). Marlin's blueing is pretty bad the grease has worked the best for me I just reapply it about 3 times a year.

Inside of the action should have also been coated so only other thing would be the inside of your barrel and spots where the paint wears off.

Comment

Buy stainless

Comment

I have a friend with an extensive collection of old Winchesters. He does not put oil on his guns because he says it will cause them to collect dust. He puts wax on the exterior metal parts of his guns.

Comment

Working...
                              X