Help (or roast) a rookie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help (or roast) a rookie!

Have had a blast watching the kids shoot their Genesis bows in an archery league so I decided I wanted to join them. However, I've never shot a bow before and did not want to spend "compound bow" $.

That led me down the Amazon road; to the SWA Spyder 62", 45lb takedown recurve bow ... Cheapest 400 spine 12 pk of Amazon carbon fiber arrows... sore fingers so Fred Eichler 3 under tab... etc.

I've tried to learn (read & watch) as much as I can about proper form. Shot my older daughter's Genesis at ~15 lbs to work on form but now I'm asking the pros what I should do to improve?
    Daughter said my follow through is not good (and I really see that on first shot where I release then remember to pull back! ) Therefore, I probably need to work on back tension at release. What else?

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
    I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Thanks in advance Green Screen!
    -Jon

Did you read the stickies?

Gary

Comment

I did. I like to read. Everything is closed due to COVID now though so I was just testing the TBH waters for help so I can avoid starting poor habits...

Comment

Shooting 3 under or split finger? What is your actual draw length?

Gary

Comment

3 under, 28.5" on this bow (6' tall with 6' 1" wingspan)
          Anchoring index finger on corner of the mouth.
          Using a fixed crawl to 25 yds (as I will only use this to hunt whitetail doe with in the fall IF I can get better/more consistent over the summer).

Comment

If you can get away from the fixed crawl your bow will be much quieter. I used to shoot that way, so I know how effective it can be, but lat offseason I broke the habit and shoot 3 directly under and it made my bow whisper quiet.

Comment

Originally posted by mbalmer.jc View Post
              If you can get away from the fixed crawl your bow will be much quieter. I used to shoot that way, so I know how effective it can be, but lat offseason I broke the habit and shoot 3 directly under and it made my bow whisper quiet.
              Yeah. I noticed when shooting under the porch, with 3 solid walls and a metal ceiling, it is loud. Out in the yard its not too bad. I have soft velcro patches where the string and limbs meet and I think my nocks are still a little too tight (which may be contributing to the noise factor?) so maybe with some more breaking in it'll quiet down.
              I've also messed with the brace height to help with noise...

I'll shoot some more tonight with 3 directly under and practice my 'gap' shooting a little more. Thanks!

Comment

I disagree with the idea that fixed crawl makes a bow loud. You definitely have to tune it for the crawl and it will depend on how the bow is tillered if it “likes it” or not. To just make a generalization about it is a mistake in my opinion.

Something I noticed, right or wrong, is a distinct change when you are drawing to when you are at anchor. Like the bow goes above the target a little during the draw and your elbow changes position. Kind of like you are using your back to draw the bow then you settle in to anchor and loose some of that tension. Even on the second shot your right hand collapses a little right before the shot.
                Last edited by Felix40; 05-12-2020, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Felix40 View Post
                  I disagree with the idea that fixed crawl makes a bow loud. You definitely have to tune it for the crawl and it will depend on how the bow is tillered if it “likes it” or not. To just make a generalization about it is a mistake in my opinion.

Something I noticed, right or wrong, is a distinct change when you are drawing to when you are at anchor. Like the bow goes above the target a little during the draw and your elbow changes position. Kind of like you are using your back to draw the bow then you settle in to anchor and loose some of that tension. Even on the second shot your right hand collapses a little right before the shot.
                  Thanks, I see what you are saying.
                  Maintain back tension... follow through. I think I'll warm up tonight with the daughter's bow and just work on back tension and follow through at release.
                  The 45lb limbs were probably just a wee bit to mighty for me to jump to, but I think that's all that was in stock (wanted at least 40lb - and I wanted to make sure I had enough 'umph' for a deer hunting bow).

This is good stuff and why I love this site! Keep it coming fellas

Comment

A big help for my follow through is a second anchor point. I go to my ear. The Canadian fella Jeff somethingerrother who shoots Bear bows on Youtube got me turned on to that.

I like The Push guys recommendation for a primary anchor point that has three points of contact.

Bob Sarrels recommended to me to have something solid...like a tooth as an anchor...the corner of your mouth will move with your skin being elastic and all.

Good luck Jon.

Byron

Comment

Honestly where you are now is leaps and bounds ahead of where I was when I started. 18 years ago there was very little info online and even less videos to learn form from. I had never heard of a fixed crawl and there was a stigma about shooting three under. The basic line of instruction I got was the old “its like throwing a baseball. Just draw it back and look at what you want to hit”.

You are getting started at a really great time. Just the videos available on bare shaft tuning alone would have changed my world when I started. I wouldnt be surprised at all if you are consistent enough to hunt by this fall.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
                        A big help for my follow through is a second anchor point. I go to my ear. The Canadian fella Jeff somethingerrother who shoots Bear bows on Youtube got me turned on to that.

I like The Push guys recommendation for a primary anchor point that has three points of contact.

Bob Sarrels recommended to me to have something solid...like a tooth as an anchor...the corner of your mouth will move with your skin being elastic and all.

Good luck Jon.

Byron
                        This guy?
                        [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fAtRzyvnik"]Traditional Archery - Breaking Bad Habits - YouTube[/ame]

He talks about an issue that was pointed out to me by Felix earlier, too. The mini collapse before my release and follow through!

Comment

I’m not one to give advice on form. Just do what you can repeat every single time. If it works it works.

Comment

Yep...thats him. I enjoy Jeffs videos.

Comment

Just try to look good doing it. See so many goofy looking shooters out there. Be conscious of how you look. I mean, be downright vain about it. I see these weird stances and such... look comfortable... stand like you know what you are doing... develop that swagger.

A nice, relaxed, slightly open stance... a smooth, controlled draw to your anchor... that noticable pause that lets folks know... this shooter is dialed in, they are focused on killing that critter... but not so long as to look like you are scared to release. A smooth, almost unnoticeable follow through - not something that looks like a theatric spasm of your hand flying back like you are about to catch a beer from a fella throwing it at your head from behind.

Stance, hook, grip, focus, draw, anchor, aim, follow thru, release, naturally follow thru.

At first, take these slow and purposeful... like a major league batter who takes those slow motion swings while staring down the pitcher he is about to go yard on.

Comment

Working...
                              X