Rattlesnake.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattlesnake.

Had the closest encounter with a rattle bug today.

Went to check out a spot today, noticed the grass was really thick and kinda taller than normal. So rattlesnakes was in the back my mind the whole time.
    After about a 45 min walk later, was just about to turn around and head back to the truck that was about a mile away.
    Just my luck as I was looking down, there was this 4 footer just right there about 1-2 steps in front of my path. Backed out, to inspect it to make sure I wasn’t imagining a long or something.

That short grassy spot at the middle of the snake really helped a lot, if it was a couple inches either side I would’ve never saw it and stepped on it.

Definitely got my attention!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Deafishunter; 09-06-2021, 09:22 PM.

Good thing you did not step on it, they don't like to be stepped on. Did that once, Got a really fast loud buzz at the same time I felt and heard a loud pop on the back of my right leg.

The one I stepped on, was somewhere around 2 1/2' to 3' long, kind of hard to tell, by the time I got to get a good look at it, it was in multiple pieces. 20 ga. 3" mag. shell with number 6 shot, did a number on it. I think it was about 3", but really don't know. A 4' snake, if you were standing on the middle of it would probably hit you about 10" above you ankle.

Comment

Wow! This one didn't rattle or move, more like it never knew I was there. I’ve walked up to a bunch of rattle snakes, and they all had rattled even if there were like 10 feet away from me before I saw them.

Did you have snake boots on?

I didn’t have mine on at the moment.
      Dumb move…. I know……

Definitely don’t want to know what it’s like to get bit by one.

Originally posted by RifleBowPistol View Post
      Good thing you did not step on it, they don't like to be stepped on. Did that once, Got a really fast loud buzz at the same time I felt and heard a loud pop on the back of my right leg.

The one I stepped on, was somewhere around 2 1/2' to 3' long, kind of hard to tell, by the time I got to get a good look at it, it was in multiple pieces. 20 ga. 3" mag. shell with number 6 shot, did a number on it. I think it was about 3", but really don't know. A 4' snake, if you were standing on the middle of it would probably hit you about 10" above you ankle.

Comment

Good grief, a close call. That is some impressive camo, blends right in with the grass color and pattern.

Comment

Saw two the other day. One 2 footer and one that was probably just over 3 foot. The smaller one crawled away and the bigger one went into defense mode. He was coiled up where I wanted to be. Kicked him out of the way and he went down a hole.

Comment

That’s pretty crazy. I have a buddy that lives in Kerr county. He is the god father of venom. Of of two people in the country licensed to raise and sell bush masters, $3,500 per snake. Anyway, he told me he’s never seen or found a rattlesnake, on his property or surrounding areas. He has approximately 300 snakes. A little more than half are venomous.

Comment

Close call. Camouflage is pretty good. Good eye.

Comment

That is why I wear my Chip’s all the time here at the ranch.

Comment

The Ol snake in the grass truck - gets me every time.

Comment

Working...
                  X