No announcement yet.

Oil Pressure sensor and thrown rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Also, thanks for all of the input and comments. I know enough about mechanics to be dangerous.

Comment

I would suspect the oil filter failed. I have read many guys having problems with Fram filters and actually quite a few others, that are in the same price range and of the same design. When I read about it some years back, I did not think much of it. I have been working on and building engines for 35 years, never seen a oil filter fail to the point, it completely restricts the oil flow. Well then one day, I got a oil filter, either a Fram or Motorcraft and the seal down inside the filter that seal is supposed to go between the housing and the filter element. The seal was out of place and mostly blocking the oil passages in end of the filter where it screws to the block. I caught it and sent it back, not a big deal.

Then about a month later, I got a customer's engine started, brand new engine, never ran. I just got it running, to start tuning it. Within three minutes of starting the engine, the engine lost oil pressure. I was baffled, it had oil right after start up, then about the time the thermostat was about to open, it lost all oil pressure. I immediately started thinking I was going to have to tear into the engine to figure out what was wrong. Then I remembered what I had read about oil filters failing, collapsing internally, causing a complete restriction of the oil flow. So I pulled the oil filter and looked inside, sure enough the oil filter element had completely collapsed. So I ordered a Wix filter, then had good oil pressure, everything was fine.

I use Wix filters 100% of the time since, either the common filters or the racing filters.

Comment

I personally would tear into the engine myself. I would start by pulling the valve covers and checking all the rocker arms. If you find a loose rocker arm take it off and check the pushrod. Then I would pull the head and check the lifter associated with that rocker that was loose. Pull the lifter and see what the cam roller side looks like. If bottom of roller is clean and the lifter was the problem you can replace a single lifter for cheap and a new head gasket. Refill coolant and change oil again and done in a day or two. I was told on my truck $3500 when I threw the lifter. Went home and watched YouTube videos and got online and ordered parts. Im still curious to what rod he is talking about.

Comment

Those engines are not terribly complicated. Have you investigated a salvage yard, low miles engine. There are lots of guys around who know how to change engines. Investigate that, it could save you a ton of money and get the truck back running for nominal cost.

Comment

I have a nearly identical truck with similar miles and its only worth $3,500 in good condition. it's not worth the repairs on it at this point unless you do the work yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by TCB View Post
              Also, thanks for all of the input and comments. I know enough about mechanics to be dangerous.
              Haha same here. Another thing, what brand of oil filter? I've heard negative about K&N and fram. Usually the facrtoy acdelco are just find, but I've heard about metal shavings found in those first two filters new, just out of the box.

Comment

Is there clean oil in the motor rn I’d see if they put oil back in

Comment

Your son got an "oil pressure" light and you drove it to the shop without even pulling the dip stick? Sorry about your luck but dang...lol

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                    Haha same here. Another thing, what brand of oil filter? I've heard negative about K&N and fram. Usually the facrtoy acdelco are just find, but I've heard about metal shavings found in those first two filters new, just out of the box.
                    I watched a youtube about oil filters. The walmart brand super tech filters are actually great filters and beat fram by a long shot. Search it out on youtube. Same for the super tech oil from walmart, made by Warren oil company here in the US. I swear, look this stuff up on youtube, I was surprised as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
                      Your son got an "oil pressure" light and you drove it to the shop without even pulling the dip stick? Sorry about your luck but dang...lol
                      I didn't know about the light until after I took it back to the shop.

Comment

Took my sons truck in for an oil change and inspection. The following day he gets an "Oil Pressure" light and now we have a thrown rod. The shop says the oil was full and they dumped/replaced the oil to see if it was holding enough. There were zero signs of any leaks on the motor or on the ground.

I'm struggling to understand how the vehicle worked fine prior to the oil change and the next day throws a rod. The truck does have 180,000 miles but we've literally replaced almost everything there is to replace.

Any advice??

I have a feeling they forgot to add the oil back and not admitting it .

Comment

Sounds like the oil pump took a crap. Had that happen on a 2000 F-150. Just happened out of nowhere.

Comment

The only options that make sense would be to put a used <$1000 engine in it, or try to rebuild what you've got.

Comment

I didn't know about the light until after I took it back to the shop.
                              so the light went out and was not still on when you drove it to the shop?

Comment

If you are comfortable doing it yourself I would go to the link below and order a new long block from them and install yourself. Or you could find a shop to do it for a lot less than $5,500.00 all in. Bonus is they are right in Tyler.

Comment

Working...
                                X