Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

restaurants ...

ok, its my turn to rant.
    Yesterday, we go to one of our favorite restaurants, walk in and notice its crowded but there are a few tables open, right in front of us. There is no one at the front desk. She finally shows up at the desk and we ask what the wait time is, she says almost 30 min.! Really? We're a group of two and there is only one group ahead of us. I notice there is maybe one waiter in the whole place. so, we left.
    Then last week, we had about the same thing happen to us in a Mexican restaurant. We go in, there's about 4-5 people ahead of us, and again, there is no one at the front desk! We look inside the eating area and there are SEVERAL tables empty but yet several people in line, waiting. A lady finally comes to the desk and she's handing someone a carry-out bag. We ask what's the wait time and she doesn't even answer that but rather replies it would be a long wait and we could order drinks only, simply because they were short of help. LOL, WOW! Needless to say we left.
    Then close your freakin' doors!

People would rather be on the government dole than work. It seems to be really bad in the food service industry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Why close their doors? Obviously people want to be there and they are maintaining a service level that they can support. I would be mad to be seated and wait two hours for someone to take my order. Experienced similar at a favorite place in Kerrville. Two-hour wait. I asked why because I could see lots of empty tables and only a couple of folks in front of us. They explained they couldn't get servers, cooks or busboys to open anymore tables. They were very apologetic and understood why we wouldn't want to wait. I tried again a few days later and got in with no problem so hopefully things are improving.

Comment

I work in the corporate office of a retailer. It is **** near impossible to hire people right now, and even harder to keep them, and we pay pretty well. Just saw this morning where someone quit because we wouldn't give them PTO to be home sick after they had been here for 3 weeks.

We offered to let them take a PTO advance that would deduct from their balance when they accrued or get pulled off their last check if they left early.

It's a different world now. Restaurants are in the same boat. Hard to keep things going with people getting sick, people quitting, and then eventually all your good people quit too because they can't carry the load anymore.

Comment

Pretty much like that throughout the area where I live. It’s not the businesses fault no one wants to work. They all have help wanted signs and ads out.

Just have to deal with it or eat at home.

Comment

We went to a restaurant Saturday night. That i knew better than to go to. We waited 1:15 mins from Order until food arrived. And they forgot to make one order so it had to be made which took another 15. But yet the whole time they where hauling out and making to go orders. Im sorry but the people sitting in the restaurant should be priority over To-GO orders. And short staff of waiters wasnt the problem our guy had maybe 3 tables and he couldnt remember crap... Nobody has a work ethic or brains either.

Comment

Yea it's not the business's fault. They can't make people work. Same problem all over right now for a lot of industries.

Comment

Not to mention, most are out of at least some ingredients. It's a scary world we live in.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                  We went to a restaurant Saturday night. That i knew better than to go to. We waited 1:15 mins from Order until food arrived. And they forgot to make one order so it had to be made which took another 15. But yet the whole time they where hauling out and making to go orders. Im sorry but the people sitting in the restaurant should be priority over To-GO orders. And short staff of waiters wasnt the problem our guy had maybe 3 tables and he couldnt remember crap... Nobody has a work ethic or brains either.
                  totally agree. From last year on, I believe the mindset is that they don't really want to wait on people, clean tables and dishes, seat people, etc etc. any more. Regardless whether they're short-handed or not, many of them are just plain lazy, now that they can get by on drive-thru and carry-out orders and not have to keep the dining areas open.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                    ok, its my turn to rant.
                    Yesterday, we go to one of our favorite restaurants, walk in and notice its crowded but there are a few tables open, right in front of us. There is no one at the front desk. She finally shows up at the desk and we ask what the wait time is, she says almost 30 min.! Really? We're a group of two and there is only one group ahead of us. I notice there is maybe one waiter in the whole place. so, we left.
                    Then last week, we had about the same thing happen to us in a Mexican restaurant. We go in, there's about 4-5 people ahead of us, and again, there is no one at the front desk! We look inside the eating area and there are SEVERAL tables empty but yet several people in line, waiting. A lady finally comes to the desk and she's handing someone a carry-out bag. We ask what's the wait time and she doesn't even answer that but rather replies it would be a long wait and we could order drinks only, simply because they were short of help. LOL, WOW! Needless to say we left.
                    Then close your freakin' doors!
                    No offense, but considering the current situation, that's a pretty harsh comment. The government not only shut down these businesses for the better part of a year, but now, unemployment benefits are too good for many of these places to even hire decent help.

I do agree that a restaurant should be up-front as to long wait times so people at least have the option to leave if they want to. However, don't fault these places for being open and at least trying to make do with the help that is available.

Comment

Just appreciate the people that have gone back to work. Besides, the longer waits will give you more time to visit with your family and friends.

Make the best of it.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post
                        No offense, but considering the current situation, that's a pretty harsh comment. The government not only shut down these businesses for the better part of a year, but now, unemployment benefits are too good for many of these places to even hire decent help.

I do agree that a restaurant should be up-front as to long wait times so people at least have the option to leave if they want to. However, don't fault these places for being open and at least trying to make do with the help that is available.
                        why not? Neither one of those places staff act like they cared, is the point I'm making. I understand the situations going on but a lousy attitude is not the one to have right now either, if they're so-called 'trying to stay open'. I'm thrilled they're open myself but its OK, I did my part and went somewhere else where people wanted to be working.

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                          Unfortunately to go orders are going to take priority. The restaurant can stuff their meal in a box and be done with it. Most people tip decently for to go orders so why wouldnt they cater to someone that is going to spend the same amount of money with a lot less work for the restaurant?

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDave View Post

I’m with CaptainDave on this one.
                            While I do believe in house customers should be a priority over To-Go orders, please keep in mind that they’re getting paid more to get those out in a timely manner. Wait staff gets treated like crap, tipped poorly, and multiple complaints. Especially now in a constant Pandemic, businesses trying to stay afloat and crappy economy.

Kroger, HEB, and Walmart have plenty of groceries on the shelf to help keep your stress level down & dealing with your expectations not being met.

Best wishes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Op
                              As stated it’s not the business’ fault they can’t find sufficient help to get the pre covid service. At least they are trying to keep the doors open. I think we all share the frustration of service these days but at the same time should cut these folks some slack.

Comment

Working...
                              X