No announcement yet.

Employee quit and now claiming unemployment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dang Mike, eerily similar to what happened at my shop. All they have to do is come up with some bull**** like hostile work environment or they got fired over the phone with no witnesses and they'll win their case. Hell, you can even prove that they were fudging hours and TWC's sorry asses will still pay em. I will say that it **** sure ended up being for the best, though.

Comment

How long has he been working for you? Even if he were to win, it could fall back on his previous employer and you wouldn’t be responsible for any of the money. I cant remember off the top of my head what the timelines are, but it goes back a quarter and that may make his previous employer responsible for the unemployment. I have had that happen a few times.

Comment

Hold my beer.......

Got one pending. Caregiver for my dementia patient Mother-in-law. Caught smoking heroin while caring for said dementia patient. I had the pipe and cops came and picked it up. Got the letter from TWC on Tuesday. This might be my favorite hearing yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
          Hold my beer.......

Got one pending. Caregiver for my dementia patient Mother-in-law. Caught smoking heroin while caring for said dementia patient. I had the pipe and cops came and picked it up. Got the letter from TWC on Tuesday. This might be my favorite hearing yet.

Yeah ..you should probably record that conversation and share it.

Comment

Originally posted by stringmusic View Post
            How long has he been working for you? Even if he were to win, it could fall back on his previous employer and you wouldn’t be responsible for any of the money. I cant remember off the top of my head what the timelines are, but it goes back a quarter and that may make his previous employer responsible for the unemployment. I have had that happen a few times.

Yep, I had one of those... Left me for higher pay... 4 months later got laid off... Filed... No Bueno... She quit denied... I happened to have a record of my counter offer before she left and they basically told her to pound sand...

Comment

Hold my beer.......

Yea, I'd probably lose that one! That is if you have to keep your cool during the interview... But then again, I'd probably be in jail by now for it already because my cool would have been lost when I found her in the act in my home...
              Good luck with it Curt!

Comment

My wife's former employer called her in and said we're going to have to let you go. No negatives, no write ups, stellar employee just needing to cut costs (20 year employment). This was on a Friday. She asked when her last day would be- told her today or Monday. She says today no sense in waiting until Monday so she chose that day. Filed for unemployment and was denied. Employer said she quit so they wouldn't pay- TWC backed them up. Horrible system

Comment

Originally posted by Kelmat View Post
                  My wife's former employer called her in and said we're going to have to let you go. No negatives, no write ups, stellar employee just needing to cut costs (20 year employment). This was on a Friday. She asked when her last day would be- told her today or Monday. She says today no sense in waiting until Monday so she chose that day. Filed for unemployment and was denied. Employer said she quit so they wouldn't pay- TWC backed them up. Horrible system

And a sh**bag employer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Some good advice in this thread and some crazy case stories.

If you guys think Texas is bad, try winning cases in New Mexico, New Jersey, or Pennsylvania. Nothing surprises me about results that come from those areas. I always joke you could set fire to a building in some of those places and still win. Kind of funny that exact thing came up in this thread.

As stated earlier, a handbook, documented write ups, and documented resignation letters or resignation forms are key. Acknowledgements in the handbooks/policies or write-ups are important as well. If it gets to the hearing stage, the result will be dictated by the mood hearing official more often than not. I lost an airtight harassment claim once, and a different case where an employee cussed out and threw things at someone else, but have won cases we shouldn't have based on lack of supporting documentation.

If you're getting dinged on claims from employees that haven't worked there for months, it's because you're the base period employer. Their next gig didn't work out and you have to fight the claim or foot the bill because of the timeline requirements of the process

I've done hundreds of claims with tons of hearings and we have a 95+% win rate. They are a huge time suck, but the hearings can be pretty interesting, especially when the hearing officials get annoyed with the claimants

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                      And a sh**bag employer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                      Agreed. Turned out to be a blessing in disguise. Had been trying to get her to quite for years. All worked out in the end.

Comment

Hold my beer.......

Unbelievable!
                        I guess I’m not surprised from a heroin addict but in for the resolution.
                        Do you have a written policy against smoking heroin on the job?

Comment

So happy I'm retired and don't have to deal with such stuff. All the lib-tards and snowflakes out there would eventually give me ulcers for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
                            Including myself, I have never known the Texas Workforce Commission to find in favor of an employer. Never.

You have my condolences.
                            This.

My dad used to be a doctor. He came into the office one day to find a bunch of his patients standing outside his office with the door locked and a "we'll be back soon" note on it. He wasn't supposed to be at work that day but he dropped in for some paperwork or something. The patients were there for therapy of some sort that the office staff could do and the whole day was booked for these therapies. He said the first person had waited over an hour outside in the hallway when he got there. So he opened up and started doing all the therapy himself and about an hour later strolls in the employee, of course he fired the them on the spot. They claimed for unemployment and it was awarded even though he objected and wrote up the reasoning. He found out later the worker's excuse for locking up and leaving was that they had a job interview somewhere else they had to go to and it ran long.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                              Unbelievable!
                              I guess I’m not surprised from a heroin addict but in for the resolution.
                              Do you have a written policy against smoking heroin on the job?

Section 14, Paragraph 4, Line 3 of the Joslin code of taking care of my mother-in-law: Don’t smoke heroin on my property while taking care of my mother-in-law.

Comment

Section 14, Paragraph 4, Line 3 of the Joslin code of taking care of my mother-in-law: Don’t smoke heroin on my property while taking care of my mother-in-law.
                                Perfect^^^^^

Comment

Working...
                                X