^^^This

Comment

I'd prolly wait a year or 3

Comment

I wouldn't let him go a couple more years he'd be a Stud

Comment

No

Comment

The body just looks like a really young deer but its your call in the end. Do whatever makes you happy!

Comment

Originally posted by JWHunt View Post
              Put up a protein feeder and see how he grows and if any more catch up with him.
              Then shoot a doe and enjoy the meal.

You know Does make the best sausage also.

Enjoy your hunting.
              This

Comment

Originally posted by Throwin Darts View Post
                If you shoot that young deer because you’re worried about your neighbor shooting young deer then you are that neighbor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                I can’t tell you how many times someone has looked at me sideways for telling them this exact statement.

Comment

Originally posted by RattlesnakeDan View Post
                  The only reason to kill a big old buck is to tell your buddies "hey, look what I did". I have shot enough old deer, elk, antelope to know that the eating satisfaction goes away quickly with tough old meat. Fish and Game does it for money, they know men want big bucks so bigger bucks mean big dollars in the form of more hunters. Some men truly want the challenge of out smarting a big crafty buck but most guys just want to be in the right place at the right time. We have the antler "shaming" guys now that ridicule anyone for shooting an animal that will be good table fare. The mindset is much different for those who actually hunt for enjoyment and clean unprocessed food.

Then shoot a doe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

No

Comment

Originally posted by splitfinger View Post
                      Here is the best deer I have pics of this year. Would you place a tag on him?
                      I'm sure I would.
                      If I dropped him... yeah, I'd put a tag on him... would be illegal otherwise

Which leads me to my personal way of thinking on the matter. I have a series of questions I ask myself in preparation and in the moment.

First - is it legal? Pretty much just need to check this box off right away. If it is legal, then the remainder questions really are just personal questions about how you feel about it. In our state, our neighbors have done plenty enough lobbying to regulate management, so after you answer this question... just do what makes you happy...

First and a half: I forgot to mention hunting property rules. Gotta abide by those if you made a commitment to make shooting decisions based on a verbal/written agreement.

Second - will it make you happy? If you are going to be sour about it and not proud of the kill, then don't... If it will make you happy and you satisfied the first question, then just do it.

The question to not ask yourself is: "What will my buddies or random strangers on the internet think?" Do what makes you happy. There is a flip side to the point though... don't go looking for affirmation on the internet after the fact. What you accomplished might not fit the mold of the community you are wanting to share it with. Certain communities are arranged to promote certain ideals and are there to encourage others who may be struggling.

I hope you get a crack at a deer on your place... post it up in the trad harvest thread when you do. I'll give ya a ...

Comment

Nope

Comment

In a heartbeat, if he’s outside the ears! Good luck Mr. D, hope he sticks around.

Comment

Folks with the "where-with-all" to be on really good leases, or own properties they can control/manage do not understand the plight of those who live in areas where the "if it's brown it's down" attitude is prevalent.

No one walks in your shoes.

You do what is right for you, and ignore everyone else.
                            I for one will support your decision either way.

Rick

Comment

Do you need the meat or would it be worth waiting for a better trophy?

Comment

Working...
                              X